Structural Design for Lateral Loads and Stability
After participating in the course you will be able to do the following:
- Incorporate the basic principles of horizontal loads and their effect on buildings when designing structures
- Apply knowledge of the changes made to NBCC to different structural bracing systems
- Develop different vertical systems to resist lateral loads on concrete and steel structures, floor diaphragm, and foundation walls
- Analyze the effect of lateral forces on bracing and structural systems
- Design braced frames and concrete shear walls for buildings
The structural stability of buildings depends on their ability to withstand vertical & horizontal loads. It is essential to understand stability & loads calculations based on the recent National Building Code of Canada. Lateral loads lead to increases in the internal forces & can affect the stability of the whole structure.
This seminar demonstrates the effect of lateral loads on structures, the requirements & designs of different lateral resisting systems. We will discuss theoretical concepts & practical methods to design lateral structural systems in different structures. To ensure a thorough understanding, the course also includes several design examples that will be solved in workshops.
- Wind load theory & calculations
- Special wind cases
- Earthquake load theory & calculations
- Layout considerations of lateral resisting systems
- Different types of lateral bracing systems in steel structures
- Types of lateral resisting systems in concrete structures
- Braced frames design
- Concrete shear walls types & analysis
- Diaphragm action & analysis
- Lateral earth pressure & shoring types
Who Should Attend:
Civil Engineers Structural Engineers Designers Consulting Architects & Engineers Construction Engineers Fabricators & Manufacturers of Structural Systems Municipal Building Officials Field Reviewers
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled at the following locations. Click the city name to learn even more details about this course.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.