Laterally Loaded Piles – Lateral Load Capacity and Deflection
After participating in this lecture you will be able to:
- Estimate the lateral capacity and deflection of piles
- Choose proper improvement technique to enhance the lateral capacity of piles
- Analyze pile-load test results
Pile foundations are sometimes used to withstand lateral forces and moments experienced in offshore structures and high-rise buildings. The lateral load capacity and deflection of pile foundations will govern the pile’s performance in this scenario. The lateral performance of the piles depends on both the pile characteristics (length, diameter, stiffness) as well as the surrounding soil properties.
This lecture focuses on the analysis of pile behaviour under lateral loads. Lateral load carrying capacity estimation will be presented for both short and long piles in cohesive and cohesion-less soils. The pile lateral deflection will also be estimated for both single piles and pile groups.
- Factors affecting lateral capacity of piles
- Lateral capacity of single piles and pile groups
- Pile lateral deflection
- Design considerations for laterally loaded piles
- Methods to increase lateral capacity of piles
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses & design including:
- Civil, environmental & transportation engineers/technicians
- Geologists, city & public works officials/planners
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled at the following locations. Click the city name to learn even more details about this course.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.