Structural Design for Lateral Loads and Stability
After participating in the course you will be able to do the following:
- Incorporate the basic principles of horizontal loads and their effect on buildings when designing structures
- Apply knowledge of the changes made to NBCC to different structural bracing systems
- Develop different vertical systems to resist lateral loads on concrete and steel structures, floor diaphragm, and foundation walls
- Analyze the effect of lateral forces on bracing and structural systems
- Design braced frames and concrete shear walls for buildings
The structural stability of buildings depends on their ability to withstand vertical & horizontal loads. It is essential to understand stability & loads calculations based on the recent National Building Code of Canada. Lateral loads lead to increases in the internal forces & can affect the stability of the whole structure.
This seminar demonstrates the effect of lateral loads on structures, the requirements & designs of different lateral resisting systems. We will discuss theoretical concepts & practical methods to design lateral structural systems in different structures. To ensure a thorough understanding, the course also includes several design examples that will be solved in workshops.
- Wind load theory & calculations
- Special wind cases
- Earthquake load theory & calculations
- Layout considerations of lateral resisting systems
- Different types of lateral bracing systems in steel structures
- Types of lateral resisting systems in concrete structures
- Braced frames design
- Concrete shear walls types & analysis
- Diaphragm action & analysis
- Lateral earth pressure & shoring types
Who Should Attend:
Civil Engineers Structural Engineers Designers Consulting Architects & Engineers Construction Engineers Fabricators & Manufacturers of Structural Systems Municipal Building Officials Field Reviewers
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW