Bearing Capacity and Settlement of Shallow Foundations
After participating in this lecture you will be able to:
- Determine the bearing capacity of different soils
- Understand the factors controlling bearing capacity and settlement
- Understand different factor of safeties in shallow foundation design
- Estimate the settlement of shallow foundation
The allowable bearing capacity in foundation design considers both failure and settlement of the foundation and provides the maximum pressure the soil can support before failure or excessive settlement. Professionals with responsibility for design and construction of both spread and mat foundation systems need a working understanding of basic concepts to gain confidence in dealing with shallow foundations design and construction.
This lecture presents basic concepts required for the design of shallow foundation systems and explains how to design and construct a safe and sustainable foundation system.
- Shallow foundations versus deep foundation (which one to choose)
- Ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundations
- Factor of safety for design (ASD versus LRFD method)
- Settlement analysis for shallow foundations
- Reporting of bearing capacity and settlement results
- Recommendations for mat foundations
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design including:
- Civil, environmental and transportation engineers/technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW