Bearing Capacity and Settlement of Shallow Foundations
After participating in this course, you will be able to
- Determine the bearing capacity of different soils
- Understand the factors controlling bearing capacity and settlement
- Understand other factors of safety in shallow foundation design
- Estimate the settlement of the shallow foundation
The allowable bearing capacity in foundation design considers both failure and settlement of the foundation and provides the maximum pressure the soil can support before failure or excessive settlement. Professionals responsible for designing and constructing both spread and mat foundation systems need a working understanding of basic concepts to gain confidence in dealing with shallow foundations design and construction.
This lecture presents the basic concepts required to design shallow foundation systems and explains how to design and construct a safe and sustainable foundation system.
- Shallow foundations versus deep foundation (which one to choose)
- Ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundations
- The factor of safety for design (ASD versus LRFD method)
- Settlement analysis for shallow foundations
- Reporting of bearing capacity and settlement results
- Recommendations for mat foundations
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design, including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation Engineers/Technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW