Dam Safety Risk Management Techniques
After participating in this course, you will have an understanding of:
- Basics of hazard and failure mode identification
- Basics of risk assessment
- Performance-based Risk-informed Design and Operation
- How to develop and implement mitigative controls to lower risk
- Developments in guidelines and regulations for water and tailings dams
Dams and their appurtenant structures are unique and complex systems built for various reasons, including flood protection, power generation, irrigation, solid waste storage and recreation.
The importance of dam safety to the Canadian economy's mining, industrial, infrastructure, and energy sectors cannot be over-emphasized. Various regulatory and industry practices exist for dam design, operation, maintenance and surveillance. However, under-appreciated deficiencies, loss of appropriate controls and other factors, from initial design to long-term operations, continue to result in dam safety incidents and failures.
This course will provide an overview of emerging dam safety guidelines and issues, controls and critical controls, critical control management, hazards and failure modes identification, and the basics of performance-based, risk-informed design and operation. Several supporting case histories will be presented to illustrate these concepts.
- Dam Safety: Introduction, Basics and Critical Concepts
- Hazards and Failure Modes
- Setting Performance Standards and Objectives
- Critical Control Management
- Selected Case Histories
- Risk-Informed Decision Making and Risk Analyses
- Ongoing Developments in Dam Safety
- Course Summary and List of Major Takeaways
Who Should Attend
Designers • Operators • Owners • Engineers • Consultants • Contractors • Individuals with an interest in dams for water and solid waste retention, flood control, and power generationREQUEST GROUP TRAINING QUOTE
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW