Design of Shallow Foundations
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Assess the suitability of shallow foundations for the different loading and soil conditions
- Identify the different factors affecting the resistance of shallow foundations
- Understand the procedures to design shallow foundations to withstand compressive, uplift and inclined loads in cohesionless and cohesive soils
- Carry out structural and geotechnical designs of shallow foundations as per the most commonly used design references in North America including the Canadian Foundation Engineering Manual, AASHTO and the Canadian Highway Bridge Code
This course is intended to develop an understanding of the theories and procedures required to design statically loaded shallow foundations. This includes an introduction to the different configurations of shallow foundations, the calculation of the applied pressure, the estimation of the carrying capacity and the evaluation of the subsequent long and short term settlement components. A preliminary introduction to the design and analysis of mat foundation will be also covered.
The difference between the working stress design and the ultimate limit state approaches will be also discussed as suggested by the most commonly adopted design manuals in North America. The structural design of shallow foundations as well as some special design and loading conditions will be covered. Finally, a number of design examples will be discussed covering the typical soil and loading conditions.
- Background and introduction
- Design of shallow foundations - bearing capacity
- Design of shallow foundations - settlements
- Structural design of shallow foundations
- Design approach
- Special design cases
- Design examples
Who Should Attend
Geotechnical Engineers • Structural Engineers • Consulting Engineers • Technicians intending to expand their knowledge of shallow foundations
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW