Design of Shallow Foundations
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Assess the suitability of shallow foundations for the different loading and soil conditions
- Identify the different factors affecting the performance of shallow foundations
- Understand the procedures to design shallow foundations to withstand compressive, uplift and horizontal loads in cohesionless and cohesive soils
- Structural and geotechnical designs of shallow foundations as per the most commonly used design references in North America, including CSA A23.3, CHBDC S6-19, AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications and the Canadian Foundation Manual
This course is intended to develop an understanding of the theories and procedures required to design statically loaded shallow foundations. This includes an introduction to the different configurations of shallow foundations, calculations of the applied pressure, estimation of the carrying capacity and the evaluation of long and short-term settlement components. A preliminary introduction to the mat foundation's design and analysis will also be covered.
The difference between the working stress design and the ultimate limit state approaches will also be discussed, as suggested by North America's most commonly adopted design manuals. The structural design of shallow foundations and some special design and loading conditions will be covered. Finally, several design examples will be discussed, covering the typical soil and loading conditions.
- Background and introduction
- Overview of soil properties affecting shallow foundation performance
- Design of shallow foundations - bearing capacity
- Design of shallow foundations - settlements
- Structural design of shallow foundations
- Design Approach
- Special design cases
- Design examples
Who Should Attend
Geotechnical Engineers • Structural Engineers • Consulting Engineers • Technicians intending to expand their knowledge of shallow foundations
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW