Foundations of Construction Law
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Examine claims arising from construction
- Discover in detail the roles and obligations of contractor/consultant/owner
- Protect yourself in construction contracts
- Recognize special risk and liability issues
- Apply knowledge gained to tendering on construction projects
- Determine the type of contract that best suits your needs
Today’s competitive and complex construction industry requires careful consideration in the formation of the construction contract. We all want the work, but are the contracts equitable? Are the specifications and timetable feasible? What is your liability exposure?
Properly prepared contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and developers can avoid anticipated liability, reduce performance disputes and receive payment for work performed. In this course you focus on practical solutions for today’s construction problems. Relying on years of experience, the instructor will illustrate what you should look for in a contract, exposures to avoid, and ways to protect yourself should a dispute arise.
Actual case examples will be discussed explaining contract performance, how to resolve construction disputes, how to prepare for a litigation case, and the bidding process.
This course covers legal issues from the formation of the contract to the final payment and is designed to assist construction professionals and their lawyers in day to day business activities.
- The Canadian legal system
- Basic contract law
- Types of construction contracts
- Construction bidding and tendering
- Construction claims
- Disputes over cost and time
- Allocation of responsibility for unknown risks
- The nuclear option and quality of performance
- Hidden risks and delay claims
- Architects and engineers
- Construction torts and insurance
- Bonds and liens
Who Should Attend
Contractors • Subcontractors • Architects • Engineers • Owners • Developers • Suppliers • Lenders • Project Coordinators • Credit Managers • Liability Insurers • Brokers • Lawyers wanting to develop expertise in Construction Contract Law • Municipal, Provincial and Federal Agencies that engage Contractors for Public Contracts
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW