Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Design
By participating in this course, you will learn about:
- Important characteristics of earthquakes and seismicity in Western and Eastern Canada.
- Seismic hazard analysis and its design implications.
- Analysis of SDOF and MDOF systems under dynamic loads.
- How to perform seismic analysis of simple structures both manually and using computer tools.
- An overview of the seismic design provisions of the National Building Code of Canada.
- Concept behind seismic design provisions of CSA codes.
To effectively apply the seismic provisions of the National Building Code of Canada (NBCC 2020), engineers need a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of earthquake engineering, including ground motion seismology, structural dynamics, and concept of capacity design. This course provides an opportunity to learn the principles of earthquake engineering and seismic analysis as well as to gain a basic knowledge of design of earthquake-resistant structures. The course covers static and dynamic seismic analysis of simple structures using both hand-calculation methods and computer software.
This course provides the basic knowledge required for taking the advanced course of “Seismic Analysis and Design of Steel and Reinforced Concrete Buildings according to NBCC”. This advanced course covers seismic provisions of the National Building Code in detail and reviews seismic design and detailing requirements of CSA A23.3 and CSA S16.
- Earthquake ground motions characteristics
- Response of a single-degree-of-freedom system
- Seismic analysis of multi-degree-of-freedom structures
- Overview of seismic provisions of the National Building Code of Canada
- Principles of seismic design
Who Should Attend:
Those who have no prior knowledge of earthquake engineering and would like to learn the basic principles of seismic analysis and design. Structural Engineers, Forensic Engineers, Designers, Consulting Engineers, and Project Engineers who would like to get involved with seismic design and assessment of structures or would like to refresh their knowledge of structural dynamics can all benefit from this course.REQUEST GROUP TRAINING QUOTE
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW