Geotechnical Engineering Fundamentals: Basic Soil Mechanics Concepts
After participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the importance of geology in soil mechanics.
- Determine index properties of soils.
- Characterize and classify different soils.
- Understand how water changes the states of soils.
Geotechnical engineering is a branch of civil engineering and deals with the mechanical behavior of soil and rock, and their interaction with structures. Most engineers with responsibility for design and construction of structure, energy and transportation systems need a working understanding of basic concepts of geotechnical engineering to gain confidence in dealing with a variety soil and foundation related problems that they encounter on engineering projects. This course is designed so that participants can better understand basic concepts of geotechnical mechanics (origin and formation of soil, soil types, index properties, classification).
- Origin and formation of soil: soil types
- Phase relationships in soil: index properties
- Soil description and classification
- Particle size distribution: Sieve analysis and Hydrometer tests
- Consistency of soil: clay minerals, Atterberg limits
- Stress in soil: total and effective stress
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design including:
- Civil, environmental and transportation engineers/technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
This course is currently scheduled at the following locations. Click the location to learn even more details about this course.
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW