Pavement Preservation to Improve Performance and Reduce Life-Cycle Costs
After Participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and document the preventive maintenance process and its key components
- Establish the steps necessary to plan and implement a rational preventive maintenance program
- Identify key components to determine, document and justify funding needs, prepare needs-based budgets, benchmark decision making parameters and promote the cost-effective use of pavement investments
- Implement decision trees and matrices to evaluate factors in determining which preservation treatments are appropriate for the right roadway at the right time
- Understand and use systems to document the positive impact of a sustainable pavement preservation program
- Understand the pavement life-cycle including the optimum time to implement relatively low cost preservation techniques to cost-effectively extend pavement life
- Know the conditions under which the use of specific pavement preservation techniques can be used
- Communicate to managers and elected officials the benefits of a structured pavement preservation program
The need to preserve our municipal pavement infrastructure is paramount to insuring the viability of transportation of people and goods. This requires increased investments because of the increased size of the roadway network and increased commercial vehicle loading. We need new approaches to support our ability to effectively maintain and improve the infrastructure.
The pressure to preserve pavement infrastructure in the face of increased needs, and to utilize in new technologies and improved management procedures, is greatest at the municipal level. Municipalities typically have limited taxation powers and often lack in-house specialized technical expertise.
Several agencies, including the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), have championed the use of preventive maintenance (PM) early in the life of a pavement, before any significant deterioration, as a cost-effective way to extend service life. In the FHWA publication, Pavement Preservation, A Road Map to the Future, PM is defined as “the planned strategy of cost-effective treatments to an existing roadway system and its appurtenances that preserves the system, retards future deterioration, and maintains or improves the functional condition of the system (without significantly increasing the structural capacity)”. FHWA adds that “PM is typically applied to pavements in good condition having significant remaining service life. As a major component of pavement preservation, PM is a strategy of extending the service life by applying cost-effective treatments to the surface or near-surface of structurally sound pavements.”
This course covers:
- Outline the key components of a successful pavement preservation program
- Evaluate the performance of various common maintenance and rehabilitation treatments
- Analyze the PM treatment costs —typical costs and variability of individual PM treatments
- Determine whether the benefits of applying PM treatment to a roadway justify the costs associated with the treatment and identify the factors (roadway classification, pavement type and pavement condition prior to treatment) for which a given PM treatment can be considered cost-effective
- Evaluate the applicability of various PM treatments
Who Should Attend
- Architects and engineers involved in pavement evaluation and management
- Agencies and other owners of highway, municipal and private sector pavement infrastructure
- State DOT and municipal agencies
- Contractors interested in advancing pavement preservation technology
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW