Roundabout Planning, Design and Implementation
After participating in this course, you will:
- Have a good general understanding of roundabouts and where they are (and are not) appropriate
- Have an understanding of the trade-offs associated with intersection design and what aspects of roundabout design maximize safety for all users
- Know what operational analysis is required in order to design a roundabout with an appropriate level of traffic capacity
- Acquire a basic knowledge of roundabout geometric design
- Learn about the detailed design, maintenance and traffic information system associated with roundabouts
This one-and-a-half day course is an introduction to the planning and design of modern roundabouts.
The first half of the course covers planning considerations, including traffic analysis and assessment as to where roundabouts may be preferred over stop-controlled or signalized intersections because of capacity, safety or life cycle costs, as well as issues associated with pedestrian and cyclist accommodation, public outreach and maintenance.
The second half focuses on the geometric design of roundabouts and aspects of detailed design such as grading, signage and pavement markings, illumination and sightline requirements. The capacity analysis discusses ARCADY, SIDRA and HCM methodologies.
The course is highly interactive with numerous examples of as-constructed roundabouts in Canada.
- Roundabouts vs traffic circles and rotaries
- Roundabout applications and safety
- Accommodating pedestrians and cyclists
- Roundabout capacity analysis
- Traffic operations at roundabouts
- Controlling vehicle speeds at roundabouts
- Developing basic horizontal design composition
- High-speed and multi-lane approaches
- Roundabout detailed design
- Design principles and pitfalls
Who Should Attend:
Traffic Engineers • Project Engineers • Transportation Engineers • Designers • Infrastructure Managers • Municipal Managers and Administrators • Traffic Planners • Transportation Planners • Consulting Engineers
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW