Structural Design for Lateral Loads and Stability
After participating in the course you will be able to do the following:
- Incorporate the basic principles of horizontal loads and their effect on buildings when designing structures
- Apply knowledge of the changes made to NBCC to different structural bracing systems
- Develop different vertical systems to resist lateral loads on concrete and steel structures, floor diaphragm, and foundation walls
- Analyze the effect of lateral forces on bracing and structural systems
- Design braced frames and concrete shear walls for buildings
The structural stability of buildings depends on their ability to withstand vertical and horizontal loads. It is essential to understand stability and loads calculations based on the recent National Building Code of Canada. Lateral loads lead to increases in the internal forces and can affect the stability of the whole structure.
This course demonstrates the effect of lateral loads on structures, the requirements and designs of different lateral resisting systems. We will discuss theoretical concepts and practical methods to design lateral structural systems in different structures. To ensure a thorough understanding, the course also includes several design examples that will be solved in workshops.
- Wind load theory and calculations
- Special wind cases
- Earthquake load theory and calculations
- Layout considerations of lateral resisting systems
- Different types of lateral bracing systems in steel structures
- Types of lateral resisting systems in concrete structures
- Braced frames design
- Concrete shear walls types and analysis
- Diaphragm action and analysis
- Lateral earth pressure and shoring types
Who Should Attend:
Civil Engineers • Structural Engineers • Designers • Consulting Architects and Engineers • Construction Engineers • Fabricators and Manufacturers of Structural Systems • Municipal Building Officials • Field Reviewers
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW