Optimal Design of Solar Thermal (ST) and Photovoltaic Thermal (PVT) Systems
After Participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Master the main design parameters of Solar Thermal (ST) and Photovoltaic Thermal (PVT) systems
- Propose and design air and water-based ST and PVT systems
- Identify buildings and processes with the best ST and PVT opportunities
- Integrate ST and PVT systems in building’s HVAC systems and architecture
- Carry out an overall technical and economical project analysis
HVAC engineers and architects are often called upon to design green buildings that incorporate solar heating, cooling or electricity. In most Canadian climates, heating takes up an important part, if not the most, of energy usage, and generate most GHG emissions. This is especially true in commercial and institutional buildings and certainly most important in industrial facilities and processes.
This course will provide necessary tools for engineers, building professionals and architects to assess the best cases for integration of solar air and water ST and PVT systems into new buildings and retrofits. Different types of solar air and water collectors and systems will be compared and optimized for the best related building applications. We look at control strategies, environmental benefits, GHG emission reduction, with many project examples across Canada and the world.
- Notions of heat transfer applied to solar thermal
- Deriving of solar collector efficiency curves & equations, thermal & electrical
- Survey of existing & new solar air & water heater designs, PVT systems
- Design & operation of system components
- Control strategies for optimizing solar fraction from technical & economical perspectives
- Simulation of actual systems with Retscreen Expert, SWIFT or Valentin software
- Cost estimates & systems budget, return on investment
Who Should Attend:
Engineers Architects Building Professionals Contractors Government Agents & Public Servants with a role in Energy Energy Consultants Teachers & Scholars Electric & Gas Utility Staff
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW