Introductory Anti-Racist/Anti-Oppressive Concepts
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Describe how race is socially constructed
- Explains the main points of the intersectionality framework
- Locate your own social position in terms of power and oppression
- Identify whiteness as a system of hierarchy and articulate how it functions
- Share insights about the experience with detours
- Recognize deficit discourses and explain how they harm
Have you ever observed racism in the workplace? Did you want to speak up but feel unsure? We want to deepen your understanding of what racism is and how it functions.
While some professional programs (education, law, medicine) are beginning to implement anti-racist, anti-oppressive education, there is still an immense need for engineering and technical disciplines to take up this work. Join us as we lay the groundwork for engaging in anti-racism action. In addition to lecture components, this course will include activities and discussions to consolidate the learning.
This course covers some foundational anti-racist, anti-oppressive concepts:
- Race as a social (rather than biological) construct
- Intersectional, constructed identity
- Whiteness as a system of racial hierarchy
- Detours to anti-racism
- Deficit discourses
Who Should Attend
- The course is open to engineers in training, engineers, leadership and administrators, and general firm employees who are interested in better understanding the concept of racism and oppression.
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
This course is currently scheduled on the following date. Click to learn even more details about this offering.
Almost all of EPIC's courses offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW