Design Safer Roads for Pedestrians and Cyclists
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Comprehend the perceptual and cognitive issues that contribute to motor vehicle collisions involving pedestrians and cyclists
- Understand the most common types of motor vehicle collisions involving pedestrians or cyclists, and the countermeasures which can minimize their frequency and severity
- Perform a road safety audit to improve road safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- Apply practical planning, design, and engineering knowledge contained in Ontario Traffic Manual Book 15 and Book 18
Roads have typically been designed primarily for drivers of motorized vehicles but every trip begins and ends with road users as pedestrians. Bicycles have been used as a primary means of transportation in Europe and Asia for many generations and they have more recently become very popular in North America for commuting and recreation.
Unfortunately, despite more pedestrians and cyclists, research has shown that walking and cycling have the highest fatality rate based on distance travelled. This course will focus on the underlying perceptual limitations of drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists and will explore the contributing factors to collisions involving pedestrians and cyclists.
- Introduction to human factors
- Introduction to Ontario Traffic Manual Book 15 (Pedestrian Crossing Facilities) & Book 18 (Cycling Facilities)
- Common pedestrian collisions & countermeasures
- Common cycling collisions & countermeasures
- Introduction to pedestrian & cycling road safety audits
Who Should Attend:
Planners • Municipal Engineers • Supervisors • Managers
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW