Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Highway and Municipal Roadway Pavements
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and document pavement maintenance process and its key components.
- Establish the steps necessary to plan and implement a rational maintenance program.
- Identify key components to determine, document and justify funding needs, prepare needs-based budgets, benchmark decision making parameters and promote the cost-effective use of pavement investments.
- Implement decision trees and matrices to evaluate factors in determining which maintenance and rehabilitation treatments are appropriate for the right roadway at the right time.
- Understand and use systems to document the positive impact of a sustainable pavement preservation program.
- Understand the pavement life-cycle including the optimum time to implement relatively low cost preservation techniques to cost-effectively extend pavement life.
- Know the conditions under which the use of specific pavement preservation techniques can be used.
- Communicate to managers and elected officials the benefits of a structured pavement preservation program.
Purpose and Background
We need new strategies to preserve and maintain our roadways at an acceptable level of condition. This infrastructure is critical to the successful transportation of people and goods in any location. As cities and towns grow, so does the strain on our roadway infrastructure.
One method that greatly reduces long term cost is preventive maintenance (PM). If the existing roadway is in fairly good condition and structurally sound, it can be treated with surface or near surface treatments that will cost effectively extend its service life. Once the time for pavement preservation is past, it is necessary to take more significant action to “rehabilitate” the pavement. Rehabilitation restores the pavement to a good condition before costly reconstruction is required.
This webinar focuses on maintenance and rehabilitation treatments, costs, discussing whether the benefits of applying various treatments is cost effective, and discuss the dos and don’t to ensure the successful use of maintenance and rehabilitation treatments.
Primary Discussion Topics/Webinar Outline
This webinar begins with a background on pavement condition evaluation, examples of typical pavement distresses, overview of the life cycle of pavement assets and methods to establish maintenance and rehabilitation needs. Details on common flexible and rigid pavement maintenance techniques are provided along with program implementation steps. The life-cycle benefits of pavement maintenance and rehabilitation are discussed and finally key steps to ensure the success of program.
- Understand the timing and implementation of pavement maintenance and rehabilitation techniques.
- Introduction to effective pavement preservation procedures and processes.
- Ability to evaluate the life-cycle benefits of pavement maintenance and rehabilitation.
- Understanding of the costs and benefits of timely preventive maintenance.
Who Should Attend
- Engineers and technicians involved in pavement evaluation and management.
- Municipal and private sector owners of pavement infrastructure.
- Contractors interested in advancing pavement preservation technology.
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Almost all of EPIC's seminars and webinars offer :
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
These course credits will help attendees earn training requirements for their associations or provincial governing bodies.
REQUEST A QUOTE
EPIC has many catalogs you can download containing courses in your area!DOWNLOAD NOW