Feb 6 - 8, 2019 /
Course Code: 09-0206-2361
After participating in this course, you should be able to
- Understand the principles of foundation design, and identify issues and challenges
- Determine appropriate site exploration and laboratory characterization programs suitable for foundation projects
- Prescribe design requirements as per the foundation engineering provisions in the national and provincial standards
- Apply your comprehensive understanding of foundation design to increase your effectiveness on your projects.
This short course will focus on the analysis and design of both shallow and deep foundation systems to resist vertical and horizontal loads coming from various superstructures including buildings, bridges, power plants, etc. This course will help the participants to better understand foundation engineering and learn from experts in geotechnical engineering on how to design a safe and sustainable foundation system in various site and loading conditions.
All key concepts and guidelines will be explained and emphasis will be placed on the practical application of the information provided.
- Site investigation for foundation design
- Bearing capacity of shallow foundations
- Settlement of shallow foundation
- Design of mat (raft) foundations
- Pile foundations under vertical loads
- Pile foundations under lateral loads
- Design of pile foundation systems
- Case studies
Who Should Attend
Engineers • Technologists • Technicians • General Contractors in All Disciplines (Civil, Structural, Transportation, Environmental, Municipal, Transportation, Construction, Mining, Plant Engineers, Geologists and Earth Scientists
8:00 Registration and Coffee (Day I only)
8:30 Session begins
There will be a one-hour lunch break each day, in addition to a refreshments and networking break during each morning and afternoon session.
Day I: Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
- Basic Soil Mechanics Concepts Required for Foundation Design
- Shear Strength of Soils
- Subsurface Investigations
- Bearing Capacity of Shallow Foundations
- Settlement of Shallow Foundations
- Design of Mat Foundations
- Case Studies
- Deep Foundations
- Load Transfer of Pile Foundations Under Vertical Loads
- Settlement of Single Pile and Pile Groups
- Lateral Capacity of Pile Foundations
- Lateral Deflection of Pile Foundations
- Design Considerations for Pile Foundations
- Case Studies
Questions and Answers, and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Concluding Remarks and Final Adjournment
Mohammad is an associate professor of Geotechnical Engineering and director of the Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University.
He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. He has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in geotechnical engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a registered professional engineer in Ontario.
To be announced
Although the venue is not officially confirmed, EPIC courses are generally held at the following location(s):
Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill
402 Queen St.
Ottawa ON K1R 5A7
Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport
2400 Alert Road
Ottawa ON K1V 1S1
Ottawa Conference & Event Centre
200 Coventry Road
Ottawa ON K1K 4S3
Please confirm with EPIC that the venue has been officially confirmed before making any reservations or travel arrangements.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$2195 + taxesRegister
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts