Bridge and Culvert OSIM Inspection I
Oct 1 - 2, 2019 /
Course Code: 10-1045-2369
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Understand inspection procedures, bridge components, material defects and performance defects
- Set out requirements for detailed visual inspections and condition rating of structures and their components
- Provide guidelines for the need to carry out further investigations and special studies
- Describe various types of procedures and equipment for the non-destructive material testing
This course is designed to provide you with bridge inspection fundamentals. You will gain an introduction to the elementary concepts of bridge inspection, bridge functions, and bridge inspection terminology. The course will also illustrate and discuss the difference between material defects and performance defects.
This introductory course covers bridge components and elements, bridge mechanics, design features, bridge materials, decks, superstructures, bearings, substructures, inspection preparations, inspection reporting activities, and work area safety.
- Inspector duties
- Basis for bridge inspection
- Major bridge components and culvert types
- Elements that comprise bridge components
- Span arrangements and deck-superstructure
- Steel, concrete and timber: properties/strengths/weaknesses
- Structural distress in steel, concrete and timber
- Decks, superstructures and bearings
- Substructure: purpose and function
- Inspection preparation: requirements
Who should attend:
Civil and Municipal Engineers • Structural Designers • Engineers in Training • Project Managers • Public Works personnel • Engineering Consultants
Special Features & Requirements
This training has been developed for municipal and provincial employees and consultants involved in inspecting bridges or in charge of a bridge inspection programs. The course is also useful for bridge engineers involved in the rating and evaluation of existing structures. A background in bridge engineering is strongly recommended.
8:00 Registration & Coffee
8:30 Seminar begins
There is a one-hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshments and networking break each morning and afternoon.
Part 1 – Introduction (am)
- Course overview and legislation
Part 2 - Components of bridges and culverts (am)
- Identify various types of bridges and culverts
- Identify structural components
- Identify and categorize material defects
- Identify and categorize performance defects
Part 3 - Components of bridges and culverts - continued (pm)
Part 4 – Introduction to OSIM manual (pm)
- Understand the objectives of the OSIM manual
- Introduction to the different parts I to V of the OSIM manual
- Understand the various tables and procedures outlined in the OSIM manual
André is responsible for the structural analysis, design, inspection and rehabilitation of bridges for municipal, provincial and federal authorities where he incorporates various types of innovative rehabilitation techniques and materials. Notable projects include the rehabilitation of concrete interchanges and major water crossings using external post-tensioning and fiber-reinforced polymers.
André is also responsible for the design of major transportation infrastructure projects with a focus on bridge design and constructability. He has also performed the structural design of large hydroelectric projects that include steel and concrete powerhouses as well as concrete waterworks. He serves as technical advisor and guest lecturer to McGill University’s Faculty of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics. André holds a Bachelors of Civil Engineering and a Masters of Engineering from McGill University and also attended Denmark Technical University in Copenhagen.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1495 + taxesFee after August 23, 2019:
$1695 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts