Erosion & Sediment Control Comprehensive Training Program
Apr 8 - 12, 2019 /
Course Code: 09-1108-2358
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- develop a firm understanding of the purpose, intent and optimization of each Best Practice
- review, confirm, and identify key aspects of installation/monitoring of each Best Practice
- design and implement the most appropriate Best Practice on various sample sites
- understand and apply the key formulae for certification as a CPESC
- practical and tangible experience implementing and installing various site BMPs
Erosion and Sediment Control is a crucial component of the environmental protection on any construction project. However, as a requirement imposed with clear performance expectations decades ago, ESC remains a science and an art practiced without the appropriate training, support, regulation, enforcement and rigor.
The industry has advanced in enormous strides in the last few years. Progressive enforcement is mandating compliance, yet designers, installers, inspectors, contractors and approving agencies are all struggling to achieve results efficiently and effectively. Training and sharing of best practices will help prepare any practitioner for the challenges and opportunities that the Erosion and Sediment Control Industry represents.
Find out how to consistently meet the governing guidelines, regulations, and bylaws, using fundamental concepts and approaches, and save yourselves and your clients the time, money, and frustration. Learn how to do ESC right!
- Overview the theory, fundamentals and causes of erosion and sedimentation
- Explore the best management practices and review their most appropriate uses
- Detail the current state of the industry as well as recent innovations and advances
- Identify common reasons for poor esc practices and performances
- Demonstrate the processes and procedures all practitioners should employ in the preparation,implementation and execution of erosion and sediment control plans
- Explain contracting and construction management for effective esc
Who Should Attend
Those involved with all aspects of erosion and sediment control including:
Designers • Inspectors • Contractors • Approving Agencies • Project Managers • Design Engineers • Engineering Consultants • Environmental Consultants
You Have the Option of Attending Any or All 5 Days of the Course
8:00 Registration and Coffee
8:30 Seminar begins
12:00 Lunch (provided)
There is a one-hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshments and networking break each morning and afternoon. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Erosion & Sediment Control: Fundamentals
- Why Do We Care
- Legislation & Bylaws
- Site Planning & Management
- Runoff Management
- Erosion Control
- Sediment Control
Erosion & Sediment Control: Site Management, Inspection & Approvals
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Parked and Ready: What Next?
- Inspection 101
- Installation 101
- Reporting & Documentation 101
Erosion & Sediment Control: Designing Sites That Work
- ESC Design: Overview & Effectiveness
- Traditional Methods: Impact & Cost
- Case Study #1
- Expected Outcomes: Compliance
- Case Study #2
- Runoff, Erosion & Sediment Control
- Case Study #3
Erosion & Sediment Control: Certified Professional in Erosion & Sediment Control
- Code of Ethics
- Federal/Provincial/Local Rules & Regulations
- Predicting Soil Loss - RUSLE
- Runoff Control – SCS
- Soil Stabilization – Seed
- Soil Stabilization - Fertilizer
Erosion & Sediment Control: Effective Installation & Implementation
- Role & Responsibilities
- Who, Why, How, What, When?
- Runoff Controls
- Erosion Controls
- Sediment Controls
- Site Management & Reporting
- Site visit
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
InstructorJames Kay, P. Eng., CPESC, CPSWQ
James Kay is a consulting civil engineer serving the land development and municipal engineering sectors across Canada for 16 years.
James is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario and practiced in Richmond Hill, Aurora and Barrie before moving west. As a Professional Engineer and Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control, James has designed and consulted on hundreds of erosion and sediment control plans for subdivisions, commercial developments, townhouses and apartment projects. With a focus on sustainability and green infrastructure, James brings depth and experience in hydrology and hydraulics, as well as current Best Management Practices and Low Impact Development strategies.
James is well versed in the federal and provincial legislation, as well as local municipal bylaws governing erosion and sediment control. James has served on the Executive of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of The International Erosion Control Association, the Erosion & Sediment Control Association of Canada, and the Erosion & Sediment Control Association of British Columbia. James has had the pleasure of delivering courses for Vancouver Island University, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Okanagan College, BC Water & Waste Association, Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists, Western Canada Onsite Wastewater Management Association, and ESCA BC and Canada.
To be announced
Although the venue is not officially confirmed, EPIC courses are generally held at the following location(s):
Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport
2335 Pegasus Rd NE
Calgary AB T2E 8C3
Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre Calgary Airport
6620 36th ST NE
Calgary AB T3J 4C8
Please confirm with EPIC that the venue has been officially confirmed before making any reservations or travel arrangements.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
There are 5 pricing options for this course and they are listed below.
Attend Any 1 Day
- 0.7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 7 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$695 + taxesFee after March 1, 2019:
$795 + taxesRegister
Attend Any 2 Days
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$1395 + taxesFee after March 1, 2019:
$1495 + taxesRegister
Attend Any 3 Days
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$1895 + taxesFee after March 1, 2019:
$1995 + taxesRegister
- 3.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 35 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$2995 + taxesFee after March 1, 2019:
$3195 + taxesRegister
Attend Any 4 Days
- 2.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 28 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$2545 + taxesFee after March 1, 2019:
$2695 + taxesRegister
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts