Process Piping Systems
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sep 18 - 20, 2019 /
Course Code: 10-0903-2371
After participating in the seminar, you will be able to:
- Understand the hierarchy of applicable regulations, codes and standards for pressure boundary related systems
- Apply the fundamental principles and industry best practice to design an efficient process piping systems
- Carry out in-service piping system inspections using various inspection and troubleshooting methods
The productivity of a process plant depends as much on the piping system as it does on all other plant equipment. As a result it is essential that the design of a piping system be optimized, properly maintained, and, when required, repaired in an effective and timely manner.
This course will present information on the design of an efficient process piping system and applicable code requirements. Piping system related subjects such as valves and actuators, inspection and maintenance and piping failure will also be presented. Case studies and workshops are a part of the course.
- Codes and standards
- Flow of fluid in a pipe
- Mechanical design of piping systems
- Piping flexibility and stress analysis
- Acoustic vibration and pressure transient
- Erosion corrosion
- Piping system layout
- Pipe inspection methods
- Pipe failure case studies
Who Should Attend:
Process Engineers • Project Managers • Project Engineers • Design Engineers • Piping Designers • Equipment and Operating Engineers • Maintenance personnel • Plant Operators • Consultants • Contractors • Technologists
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
Codes and Standards
- Development of Codes and Standards.
- The Hierarchy of Provincial Act and Regulations. CSA standards. Boiler and Pressure Vessel Act, ASME, ANSI standards, Piping & pressure vessel code. B31.1 and B31.3
- Provincial regulators in Canada
- Method of production, property of pipe
- Material Selection
Flow of Fluid, Pressure Drop and Flow Calculation
- Factor that affects the optimum pipe sizing
- Pipe sizing and pressure drop of incompressible fluid
- Flow of fluid through piping components
- Soldered and brazed
- Commonly used pipe joints and fittings
Mechanical Design of Piping System -Pipe Wall Thickness Calculation
- Piping under internal pressure
- Stress in a piping system
- Wall thickness calculation
- Types of pipe support
- Size a spring hanger
- Inspection and maintenance
Flexibility Calculation and Stress Analysis
- Expansion and stress
- Allowable stress, code requirement
- Stress intensification factor
- General flexible requirement
- External loading on piping system
- Stress analysis software
Acoustic Vibration, Pressure Transient, Vibration, Erosion Corrosion
- Pressure surge, water hammer
- Erosion corrosion in a piping system.
Piping System Layout
- Guide line for system layout
- Piping drawings
- CAD software
- Piping system design process
Pipe Inspection Methods- Maintenance and Operation of a Piping System
- Liquid penetration
- Magnetic particle
- Eddy current testing
- Operation and maintenance
A Brief Discussion on Valves
Pipe Failure Case Studies, Failure analysis
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
InstructorGee Sham, P.Eng.
Gee is a professional engineer working as an independent consultant in power utilities, petro-chemical, and mining and energy projects.
He has experience in the areas of piping design, stress analysis, system flow, plant layout, failure analysis and project management. He has provided expertise as a consultant in the field of mechanical & piping systems and he has been active as an instructor in related courses for over 25 years.
To be announced
Although the venue is not officially confirmed, EPIC courses are generally held at the following location(s):
The Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax
1960 Brunswick St
Halifax NS B3J 2G7
Please confirm with EPIC that the venue has been officially confirmed before making any reservations or travel arrangements.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1995 + taxesFee after August 9, 2019:
$2295 + taxes
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- EPIC courses qualify for ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts