Membrane Technologies: Design, Operation and Application in Industrial Water Treatment Systems
Jan 28, 2022 /
Course Code: 12-0108-ONL22
This course is held online over 1 day on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks and lunch)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the application and principles of operation of membrane technologies used in the removal of organic and inorganic water contaminants
- Develop a better understanding of the mechanisms and design aspects of membrane technologies
- Learn about the membrane-based systems that are commonly used in industrial water and wastewater treatment operations
- Apply your knowledge of membrane technologies to water and wastewater treatment projects
This course presents the operation principles, design and application of membrane technologies in industrial water treatment systems. Topics include: types and specifications of membranes, mechanisms involved in the separation and removal of inorganic and organic contaminants by membrane processes, components of membrane filtration systems, theory of operation of membranes, membrane fouling, prevention strategies for membrane fouling, design and performance evaluation of membrane treatment systems.
Industrial case studies related to the removal of contaminants from water and wastewater by microfiltration (MF), ultrafiltration (UF), nanofiltration (NF) and reverse osmosis (RO) processes will be discussed during the course.
- Structure, material and configuration of membrane modules
- Separation and contaminant removal mechanisms by membrane processes
- Application of membrane technologies in water and wastewater treatment processes
- Design aspects and performance evaluation of membrane treatment processes
- Membrane scaling and fouling: causes, prevention and control strategies
- Membrane bioreactors: application and design
- Microfiltration, ultrafiltration and nanofiltration processes: application and design
- Reverse osmosis processes: application and design
Who Should Attend:
Environmental Engineers • Consulting Engineers • Environmental Educators • Industrial Staff • Technicians and Technologists • Municipal Planners
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Principal aspects of membrane filtration
- Contaminant removal mechanisms of membrane technologies
- Types of membrane technologies used in the removal of contaminants from drinking water and wastewater
- Characteristics of common membrane processes
Structure, material and configuration of membrane modules
- Polymeric and ceramic membranes
- Plate-and-frame, spiral wound, tubular and hollow-fiber membrane module configurations
- Operating conditions of different membrane systems
Microfiltration (MF), Ultrafiltration (UF) and Nanofiltration (NF) Processes: Application and Design
- Types of contaminants removed by MF, UF and NF processes
- Mechanism of contaminant removal by MF, UF and NF processes
- Design of MF, UF and NF processes in industrial water treatment operations
Reverse Osmosis (RO) Processes: Application and Design
- Mechanism of dissolved solids removal by RO processes
- Desalination by RO processes
- Design of RO processes in industrial water treatment operations
- Challenges facing the application of RO processes in industrial water treatment applications: membrane fouling, contaminant permeation, energy consumption, pre-treatment, managing treatment residuals, and membrane integrity
Design aspects and operation parameters of membrane treatment processes
- Membrane permeability, recovery rate, rejection and concentration factor
- Membrane area estimation
- Flux of water through the membrane
- Factors affecting the performance of membranes
Membrane Fouling and Scaling: Causes, Prevention and Control Strategies
- Types of fouling: biofouling, organic fouling, inorganic scaling
- Membrane fouling control strategies: pre-treatment, membrane cleaning, backwashing and membrane surface modification
Membrane Filtration Systems in Industrial Water Treatment Operations
- Membrane bioreactors (MBR): application and design
- Design and operation strategy of membrane bioreactors
- Tertiary membrane filtration (TMF) units
- Membrane technologies in full-cycle water remediation
Laleh Yerushalmi is the Chief Technology Officer of BioCAST Systems Inc. and Dagua Technologies Inc. She holds a Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering and specializes in Environmental and Biochemical Engineering.
She is a professional engineer and member of l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec. Laleh is the inventor of BioCAST technologies and is currently in charge of research and development at BioCAST Systems Inc. and Dagua Technologies Inc. Laleh has more than twenty years of experience in the design, development and optimization of chemical and biological processes for wastewater treatment and site bioremediation.
She was formerly the Director of Research and Development, in charge of operation management and performance optimization of a proprietary wastewater treatment technology at Atara Corporation in Montreal. She has also been a Research Analyst at Statistics Canada, involved in environmental modeling, design and development of methodologies for the estimation of environmental emissions. She was formerly a Research Officer at the National Research Council of Canada, responsible for the design and development of groundwater treatment technologies. Laleh teaches and supervises graduate research theses at McGill and Concordia Universities. She has presented the results of her research in numerous conferences and has published more than ninety articles in scientific journals.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
Fee & Credits
$695 + taxes
- 0.7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 7 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
OTHER UPCOMING DATES
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE