Analysis and Design of Earth Retaining Structures
Apr 8 - 9, 2024 /
Course Code: 14-0402-ONL24
This course is held online over 2 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Use your acquired knowledge and skills gained in designing rigid retaining walls
- Implement requirements, procedures and techniques for safe, effective and efficient design of different retaining systems
- Practice design and construction of retaining structures
This course provides practical training on the design and construction of rigid retaining walls. The course will review the related soil mechanics knowledge and show how to apply soil mechanics concepts to retaining walls and slope stabilization. Design methods will be covered for earth-supporting systems, including gravity walls, cantilever walls, and geosynthetic walls.
The design examples are illustrated and will show you how to apply the theory in practice.
- Review of soil mechanics
- Site investigation process for retaining structures
- Lateral earth pressures
- Rigid retaining wall stability, capacity and settlement
- Slope stability analysis of retaining structures
Who Should Attend
Civil and Municipal Engineers • Project Engineers and Managers • Consultants • Designers • Operation and Maintenance Personnel • Developers • Planners
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Welcome, Introduction, Course Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
Review of Soil Mechanics
- Index properties of soils
- Soil classification
- The flow of water in the soil
- Effective and total stresses
- Shear strength
- Geotechnical investigation and site assessment
Rigid Retaining Walls Design and Construction
- Lateral earth pressures
- Retaining walls (gravity and cantilever walls)
- Geosynthetic walls
- Bearing capacity and settlement analyses of the walls
- Slope stability analysis
Dr. M.T. Rayhani is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies.
Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering.
Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1295 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE