Assessment and Retrofit of Masonry Structures
Oct 3 - 6, 2023 /
Course Code: 14-1006-ONL23
This course is held online over 4 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Characterize ancient, transit and modern masonry materials and systems
- Understand the evaluation and retrofit process of masonry structures
- Perform site investigation and analysis of existing masonry structures
- Recognize available techniques used to repair, strengthen or upgrade existing masonry structures on both the local member level and global system level.
- Understand how to track building envelope response to structural and environmental loads using local and global monitoring techniques.
- Recognize maintenance processes and activities, including cleaning of masonry walls
- Learn how to develop a rational methodology for different types of masonry assessment and retrofit projects via case studies.
The purpose of this course is to provide background, reference material, and guidance to design professionals, building owners, and contractors confronted with addressing existing masonry construction. For historic, transitional and modern masonry construction typologies, information related to construction characteristics, typical material properties, and analytical approaches is included.
The main focus of this course is structural stabilization, strengthening and retrofit with maintenance and serviceability items (such as water penetration and cleaning) addressed as subtopics.
- Introduction to Ancient masonry structures
- Introduction to Modern Masonry
- Evaluation and Retrofit process
- Site investigation and analysis
Who Should Attend
Architects, civil and mechanical engineers, restoration project managers, and building maintenance engineers.
Special Features & Requirements
Course participants are expected to have basic knowledge of structural mechanics, structural analysis and structural design. A textbook entitled “Assessment and Retrofit of Masonry Structures” by Ahmad Hamid and Mike Schuller and published by The Masonry Society, Boulder, Colorado in 2019 is required for the course.More Information
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes, and Assessment Method
Introduction to Ancient Masonry
- Introduction to ancient masonry
- History of masonry materials
- Early building elements
- Development of building structure
- The transition from ancient to modern masonry
Introduction to Modern Masonry
- Properties of masonry materials
- Properties of masonry assemblages
- Building code requirements of unreinforced and reinforced masonry construction
Evaluation and Retrofit Process
- Need for evaluation
- Code requirements for evaluation
- Evaluation process
- Investigation plan
- Documentation and recording
- Information Management
Site Investigation and Analysis
- Preliminary site investigation
- Testing plan
- Detailed site investigation and in-situ testing
- Foundation retrofit
- Techniques related to the demand
- Techniques related to increasing element resistance
- Techniques related to increasing system stability and structural integrity
- Adding an opening to an existing wall
- Techniques related to improving serviceability
- Organization of Retrofit work
- Monitoring process
- Monitoring system design
- Data and analysis and recording
- Code requirements
- Maintenance process
- Maintenance items and deterioration mechanisms
- Inspection intervals
- Maintenance activities
- Case Study 1: Brick Masonry retrofit for high wind
- Case Study 2: Brick veneer maintenance and retrofit
- Case study 3: Thermal and Moisture evaluation of a masonry cavity wall
Questions and Answers, Feedback on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Dr. Ahmad A. Hamid has over 50 years of experience in education, research and consulting in the design and seismic retrofit of reinforced concrete structures and ancient and contemporary masonry structures. He is also an expert in green and sustainable building structures and in the design and retrofit of building envelopes under structural and environmental loads. Dr. Hamid has published 7 books on the design and retrofit of masonry structures and 4 ebooks on the design and retrofit of building envelopes. He is the author of “ Masonry Structures: Behavior and Design,” 4th Edition, published by The Masonry Society in 2017 and co-author of “ Assessment and Retrofit of Masonry Structures,” published by The Masonry Society in 2019.
Dr. Hamid is a professional engineer in the US, Canada and Egypt. He has assessed and retrofitted ancient and modern masonry structures worldwide, including USA, Canada, Egypt, Turkey, Iran, Italy, Brazil and Portugal.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
Fee & Credits
$2595 + taxes
- 2.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 28 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE