Basics of Design & Inspection of Pre-Stressed and Post Tensioned Concrete Structures
Feb 28 - Mar 2, 2022 /
Course Code: 12-0227-ONL22
This course is held online over 3 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
10:00 am to 6:00 pm Eastern (will include usual breaks)
After participating in the course, you will be able to:
- Use the basics and principals of pre-stressed and post-tensioned concrete in the design of residential, commercial buildings, parking garages and other structures.
- Apply the knowledge gained at the seminar in the design and inspection of pre-stressed and post tensioned concrete structures
- Develop different tendon paths to optimize the member design
- Analyze the effect of the tendon's force on the structural member in shear, normal stresses and deflection
- Design beams using different pre-stressing and post-tensioned techniques
This seminar introduces different techniques used in the pre-stressing process and demonstrates the effect of pre-stressing force on members. The design procedures of different members such as beams and slabs are presented. It also covers practical examples relating to the use of post-tensioning members. Theoretical concepts and practical methods to design, create structural drawings and inspect the structural members are discussed.
Thorough understanding of the course material is ensured by including several design examples and solving them in design workshops.
- Theory and process
- Materials and tendon profiles
- Shear effect of pre-stressing forces
- Design of end zones and types of losses
- Post tensioning considerations
- Detailing of pre-stressed elements
- Checking of shop drawings
- General inspection guidelines
Who Should Attend
Civil Engineers • Structural Engineers • Designers • Consulting Architects • Consulting Engineers • Construction Engineers • Fabricators and Manufacturers of Structural Systems • Municipal Building Officials • Field Reviewers
A special feature of the seminar is the clarification of the principles of post tensioned and pre-stressed concrete members including creating of structural drawings, checking shop drawings and site inspection.
Time: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Registration and Coffee
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
- Pre-Stressing and Post Tensioning Theory and Process
- Materials and Tendon Profiles
- Analysis of Sections under Flexure
- Design Examples
- Shear Effect of Pre-stressing Forces
- Design Example
Participants work under instructor guidance, on a case study with given gravity loads to create tendon profile, calculate the required tendon area and design the beam.
- Design of End Zones
- Types of Losses
- Calculation of Pre-Stressing Losses
- Post Tensioning Considerations
Participants work under instructor guidance, on a case study with post tensioned concrete member.
- Presentation and Detailing of Pre-Stressed elements
- Checking of Shop drawings
- General Inspection Guidelines of post tensioned members
Participants work under instructor guidance, to create sketches presenting the pre-stressing forces and end zones, review of shop drawings.
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Dr. Saleh has over 23 years of experience in teaching, research, design and consulting in the area of structural design in Canada, Germany and the Middle East.
He is experienced in steel, concrete; including pre-stressed and pre-caste concrete structures, concrete technology and participated in different research topics such as; walls of high strength concrete, fibre reinforced concrete and precast concrete columns. Dr. Saleh has been teaching in Germany, Canada, Dubai and Egypt, and assisted in publication of a structural design concrete book in Germany based on the European Codes.
Dr. Saleh has worked with worldwide renowned consulting offices such as Halcrow Yolles in Toronto, Buro Happold in Dubai and NORR Ltd. in Toronto. He worked with developers, architects and project managers on high rise, midrise office, residential and institutional buildings. Dr. Saleh is the founder of Can Consulting Hansa Inc. in Toronto.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1995 + taxes
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE