Bridge Planning, Design and Rehabilitation
Feb 5 - 8, 2024 /
Course Code: 14-0209-ONL24
This course is held online over 4 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern Time (Will include the usual breaks)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Apply up-to-date bridge engineering knowledge in compliance with CHBDC standards through a step-by-step detailed worked example
- Solve some of the common bridge design and construction problems
- Evaluate existing bridges and plan their rehabilitation and strengthening program
Through applications of bridge engineering in planning, design and significant rehabilitation techniques, the course will enhance the confidence and efficiency of bridge engineers, inspectors and contractors.
The course includes loads, simplified analysis methods, new highway bridge design, and existing highway bridge evaluation and rehabilitation. This course covers the main advancements to bridge technology through case studies.
Who Should Attend
Bridge Design Engineers • Planners • Bridge Contractors • Bridge Inspectors • Supervisors • Consulting Engineers and Contractors Involved in the Design, Evaluation, and Restoration of Highway Bridges
Special Features & Requirements
This course includes case studies providing detailed bridge design in steel, concrete, pre-stressed concrete, retaining structures, and evaluation and rehabilitation. For each case study, a reference to the relevant code article will be presented.More Information
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
- Bridge Engineering Overview
- Bridge Main Components
- Loads (Loading Example)
- Short and Medium Span Bridges & Integral Deck System - Case Studies
- Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) technique – Case studies)
- Photos for Overpasses and Segmental Bridges
- Concrete Example: Precast Prestressed Concrete Girders – step-by-step design
- Prestressed Concrete Overview (optional)
- PP Presentation for Different Case Studies
- Theory of Spliced Concrete Girders
- Foundation and Geotechnical Systems (Substructure Example) – Step-by-step design
- Seismic Analysis and Design
- Steel Bridge Introduction
- Composite Construction Applications for Bridge Deck
- PP Presentation of a Case Study (Richelieu Bridge)
- Fracture Control and Fatigue
- Steel Bridge Example, including Bridge Deck Analysis – Step-by-step design
- Expansion Joints
- Material Defects
- Bridge Evaluation Example Step-by-step evaluation technique
- Fiber Reinforced Bridge Structures
- Bridge Rehabilitation vs. Replacement
- PMB presentation - Design/Build procurement construction method- Case Study
- PPP construction methods – application on bridge engineering
- Several Examples and Case Studies will be Presented
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
InstructorAdel R. Zaki, P.Eng.
Adel R. Zaki is the Chief Engineer of bridges and structures with SNC-Lavalin. In his 40 years in civil engineering practice, Mr. Zaki has been engaged by Canada’s foremost engineering consulting firms, becoming an expert in the design and management for major bridge projects in North America and internationally.
In 1995, the World Bank recognized Mr. Zaki as an international specialist for his professional services in planning, project management and the design of railway and highway infrastructures.
Mr. Zaki has published more than twenty technical papers on bridges and received merit awards from the CSCE, the ACI, and the PCI. He is a member of numerous associations and committees including Professional Engineers Ontario, Order of Engineers of Quebec, Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, Transportation Research Board, Technical Committee of the CSA Bridge Code S6, and the International Association of Bridges and Structures.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$2595 + taxes
- 2.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 28 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE