Civil Engineering for Non-Civil Engineers
Dec 13 - 15, 2023 /
Course Code: 14-1113-ONL23
This course is held online over 3 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
10 am to 6 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
Please note that it is a requirement for all attendees to sign a "Confidentiality Agreement" prior to receiving the course notes for this online offering.
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Apply fundamental concepts to civil engineering works.
- Employ materials and mechanics core principles in various civil engineering applications.
- Assess information needed in civil engineering design.
- Use robust strategy in temporary structures and civil construction.
- Solve common civil engineering design problems in pavements and concrete structures.
- Assess the condition of civil infrastructure, such as bridges and its need for repair.
Non-civil engineers involved in civil construction and infrastructure projects need to acquire a robust fundamental basis without the complexity associated with expert knowledge. This course covers the materials, mechanics, field construction, and inspection aspects of diverse civil works, including pavements, bridges, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, fibre-reinforced composites, temporary structures, and condition assessment of aging structures.
This course introduces the basic simplified theory and then uses workshops and problem-based learning to reinforce field application.
- Materials and section properties
- Structural loads and mechanics
- Pavement materials and design
- Temporary structures and formwork
- Reinforced concrete structures
- Prestressed concrete structures
- Fibre-reinforced composites in civil construction
- Non-destructive testing of bridges
- Assessment of in-service civil infrastructure
Who Should Attend
Architects • Non-Civil Engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, Mining, Chemical, Agricultural, etc.) • Plant Engineers • Fabricators and Manufacturers of Civil Systems • General Contractors • Property Managers • Directors of Physical Plants • Municipal Building Officials • Building Inspectors • Field Review Personnel • Project Engineers • Others wanting to know more about Civil Engineering.
Special Features & Requirements
Course participants are expected to have some elementary knowledge about materials, mechanics, construction and civil engineering works. Participants should have a hand-held calculator for solving exercises and practicing problem-based learning.More Information
Time: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes, and Assessment Method
Civil Engineering Disciplines
- Structural engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Water resources engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Construction engineering
- Geomatics and surveying engineering
- Urban planning
- Other related disciplines
Section and Structural Properties
- Stress-strain behaviour
- Section Properties
- Strength and factors of safety
- Concept of limit states design
Loads, Mechanics, Stress and Strain
- Loads and equilibrium
- Determinate and indeterminate structures
- Axial loading
- Combined loading
Civil Engineering Construction Materials
- Cement and concrete
- Mineral and chemical admixtures
- Concrete mixtures and proportioning
- Asphalt cement and concrete
- Wood and timber
- Fibre-reinforced composites
Roads and Pavements
- Pavement design principles
- Traffic data for road design
- Soil data for pavement design
- Weather data for pavement design
- Design of flexible pavements
- Design of rigid pavements
- Different types of foundations
- Basic Concept of foundation design
- Shallow foundations
- Foundation under machines
- Pile foundations
Temporary Structures and Formwork
- Shoring and scaffolding
- Formwork systems
- Formwork for columns
- Formwork for slabs and beams
- Formwork for bridges
- Design codes and standards
- Reinforced concrete design
- Shear walls
- Retaining walls
- Prestressed concrete
Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Assessment
- Ultrasonic transmission
- Impact echo
- Infrared thermography
- Ground penetrating radar
- Corrosion NDT techniques
Damage Mechanisms of Concrete Structures and Repair Techniques
- Freeze-thaw damage
- Sulphate attack on concrete
- Alkali aggregate reactivity damage
- Fire damage
- Surface repair techniques
- Structural strengthening techniques
Questions and Answers, Feedback on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Professor and Chair
Moncef received his BASc from Laval University, MASc from Sherbrooke University, and Ph.D. from the University of British Columbia, all in civil engineering. Currently professor and chair of the Department of Civil Engineering at McMaster University. He was previously the professor of civil and environmental Engineering at Western University, where he also served as associate director for Environmental Research Western.
His industrial experience includes serving as technical manager for three different companies. He was licensed as a professional engineer in British Columbia in 1998 and in Ontario in 1999. He is past chair of the ACI committee 555 on recycled materials, chair of the CSCE sub-committee on cement and concrete, vice-chair of the CSCE Mechanics Division, depute chair of the RILEM committee on concrete data science, and was co-chair of the Infrastructure Division of NSERC’s Discovery Grant Committee 1509.
He has provided consulting services for some world landmark projects including the world's tallest buildings, the world’s largest airport, the world’s most venerated pedestrian bridge, and the world’s deepest and second-largest water treatment plant.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1995 + taxes
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE