Design of Concrete Bridges
Sep 11 - 13, 2023 /
Course Code: 14-0929-ONL23
This course is held online over 3 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (Will include lunch and refreshment breaks)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Select an efficient structure for different bridge configurations
- Provide cost-effect solutions for bridge construction
- Evaluate loads and load combinations
- Determine dynamic loading, including seismic factors
- Prepare a detailed design for all concrete bridge components
The worldwide design, development and construction of bridges represent the most challenging achievement in civil engineering. This course presents concrete bridges' structural design and covers superstructures and substructures. The analysis and design include an overview of different short and medium-span bridge types as well as long-span bridges.
This course provides basic principles of strength, serviceability, and detailed design of reinforced concrete bridges and pre-stress concrete bridges. It will cover bridge rehabilitation and new bridge design, including accelerated bridge construction techniques. Numerous examples and case studies are presented in detail for highway and railway bridges.
- Bridge engineering overview and components
- Concrete bridges
- Type of concrete bridges
- Highway and railway bridge design loads
- Short and medium-span bridges
- Design calculations
- Design of concrete railway underpasses
- Bridge rehabilitation vs replacement
- Accelerated bridge construction techniques
Who Should Attend:
Municipal, Provincial and Federal Government Engineers and Managers • Structural Engineers • Design Engineers • Design Technicians • Engineers in Training • Construction personnel • Railway Bridge Engineers • Consulting Engineers • Project Engineers
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
- Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
- Bridge Engineering Overview
- Bridge Main Components
- Concrete Bridges - Introduction
- Type of Concrete Bridges
- Highway and Railway Bridge Design Loads (CHBDC & AREMA)
- Highway & Railway Bridge Examples
- Short & Medium Span Bridges - Integral Deck System
- Design Calculation of Precast Pre-stressed Concrete Bridge Girders (CSA-S14)
- Design Calculation for Bridge Substructure and Retaining Wall
- Design of Concrete Railway Underpass
- Bridge Rehabilitation vs Replacement
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Techniques using Prefabricated and Pre-assembled Structural Systems. (Several case studies)
- Open Forum
- Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
- Final Adjournment
InstructorAdel R. Zaki, P.Eng.
Adel R. Zaki is the Chief Engineer of bridges and structures with SNC-Lavalin. In his 40 years in civil engineering practice, Mr. Zaki has been engaged by Canada’s foremost engineering consulting firms, becoming an expert in the design and management for major bridge projects in North America and internationally.
In 1995, the World Bank recognized Mr. Zaki as an international specialist for his professional services in planning, project management and the design of railway and highway infrastructures.
Mr. Zaki has published more than twenty technical papers on bridges and received merit awards from the CSCE, the ACI, and the PCI. He is a member of numerous associations and committees including Professional Engineers Ontario, Order of Engineers of Quebec, Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, Transportation Research Board, Technical Committee of the CSA Bridge Code S6, and the International Association of Bridges and Structures.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1995 + taxes
- 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 21 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE