Geotechnical Engineering Fundamentals: Basic Soil Mechanics Concepts
May 15, 2024 /
Course Code: 0516-WEB24
After participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the importance of geology in soil mechanics.
- Determine index properties of soils.
- Characterize and classify different soils.
- Understand how water changes the states of soils.
Geotechnical engineering is a branch of civil engineering that deals with the mechanical behaviour of soil and rock and their interaction with structures. Most engineers responsible for the design and construction of structure, energy and transportation systems need a working understanding of basic geotechnical engineering concepts to gain confidence in dealing with various soil and foundation-related problems that they encounter on engineering projects.
This course is designed so that participants can better understand basic concepts of geotechnical mechanics (origin and formation of soil, soil types, index properties, and classification).
- Origin and formation of soil: soil types
- Phase relationships in soil: index properties
- Soil description and classification
- Particle size distribution: Sieve analysis and Hydrometer tests
- Consistency of soil: clay minerals, Atterberg limits
- Stress in soil: total and effective stress
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation engineers/technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dr. M.T. Rayhani is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies.
Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering.
Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
Fee & Credits
$115 + taxes
- 0.15 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 1.5 Continuing Professional Development Hours (PDHs/CPDs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE