Geotechnical Engineering Fundamentals: Slope Stability
Jun 7, 2023 /
Course Code: 0605-WEB23
After participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- Understand the forces and activities that provoke slope failures
- Understand the factors controlling the stability of slopes.
- Estimate the stability of slopes.
- Appreciate the role of different slope stabilization techniques in slope stability.
Many geotechnical structures (e.g., dams, levees, highways, canals and excavations) are constructed by sloping the lateral faces of the soil, as building slopes is generally less expensive than constructing walls. Failure of natural slopes (landslides) and man-made slopes have resulted in the loss of life, destruction, economic losses, and environmental damage. This lecture aims at understanding the mechanisms controlling the stability of slopes, analyzing the strength of slopes against any potential failure, and developing stabilization techniques to stabilize unstable slopes.
All key concepts will be explained, and emphasis will be placed on the practical application of the information provided.
- Shear strength of soils
- Factors controlling slope instability
- Slope stability analysis (hand calculation and available programs)
- Slope stabilization techniques
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on slope stability analyses and design, including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation engineers/Technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dr. M.T. Rayhani, P.Eng., is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$112.5 + taxes
- 0.15 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE