Inspection, Repair and Rehabilitation of Marine Structures
Jan 26 - 27, 2022 /
Course Code: 12-0110-ONL22
This course is held online over 2 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate and undertake condition inspections of existing marine structures
- Apply the learnt methods and strategies in the repair and rehabilitation of concrete, steel and timber marine structures
- Develop repair and rehabilitation programs for existing marine structures
Marine structures, including piers, docks, wharves, seawalls and breakwaters, are vital components of the shipping, passenger ferry, cruise line, and fishing industries. Many of these existing structures are currently past their original expected service lives and require inspection and rehabilitation to remain safe and functional. Marine structures can also sustain physical damage as a result of overloading, ship impacts, adverse weather conditions and environmental effects.
After conducting a structural condition inspection, engineers must develop a repair, rehabilitation and maintenance program necessary to meet operational requirements and maintain or extend the remaining service life of the marine structure.
- Principles of marine structure deterioration
- Inspection planning, methods and techniques
- Common repair and protection practices
- Extending a marine structure’s service life
- Impacts of climate change
- Life-cycle management and maintenance programs
- Designing to minimize deterioration
Who Should Attend
Marine Facility Engineers and Managers • Public Maritime Infrastructure Managers • Harbour Masters • Maritime Facility Owners • Civil and Structural Engineers • Construction Professionals • Project Managers • Marine Insurance Professionals
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
- Welcome, Introduction, Course Preview, Learning Outcomes
- An overview of marine structures and the basic principles and causes of deterioration and damage to various types of marine structures
- Planning an inspection program for marine structures
- The use of inspection methods and techniques to assess the condition of an existing marine structure and estimate the remaining service life
- An overview of common repair practices and preventative protection measures used to prolong the service life of an existing marine structure
- Basics of life cycle management and the benefits of regular inspection and maintenance programs for existing marine structures
- Climate change considerations
- Design considerations and construction techniques that will minimize deterioration
Case studies to illustrate repair and rehabilitation strategies used to meet operational requirements and extend the service life of existing marine structures
- Questions and Answers
- Feedback to participants on achievement of learning outcomes
Concluding remarks and final adjournment
InstructorCarol Turner, P.Eng.
Carol is currently the Director, Ports and Marine, Canada at Wood PLC. She has over 20 years of experience in project and personnel management, design, construction and inspection of marine and industrial structures. Her experience includes field inspection for numerous marine construction projects, secondment to clients for engineering project coordination, inspections of bulk material handling systems, equipment and marine structures, and the design and checking of steel, concrete, and timber public and industrial structures. Carol has worked on large multi-disciplinary projects and small projects from conception and feasibility to construction and maintenance.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1295 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
OTHER UPCOMING DATES
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE