Structural Design Principles and Applications of Strut and Tie Approach
Dec 11 - 12, 2023 /
Course Code: 14-1210-ONL23
This course is held online over 2 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
9:30 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
After participating in the course, you will be able to:
- Understanding of the strut and tie concept
- Understand and design deep beams
- Check openings effect in beams and slabs
- Design corbels using the strut and tie method
- Design regions with discontinuities.
- Be familiar with the code provisions and requirements
- Design pile caps
- Develop reinforcing plans with the required code detailing
The cases faced in the structural design process are often of special care and consideration. Whether it be deep beams, dapped beams, corbel or pile caps, every case has its specific design approach and considerations.
These special cases will be addressed with respect to specific provisions to satisfy the design objectives and achieve local as well as overall stability of the structural system and its serviceability. Many special design cases will be discussed in the course and its workshops to introduce the attendees to the right approach to analyze, design and detail each. The course will cover these cases discussing their theoretical concepts and presenting some of their practical applications in real life. Detailed design examples will be solved in the workshops to ensure a better understanding of theories and enhance the student's problem-solving abilities.
- Overview of special cases in structural design
- The concept behind the strut and tie model and its various applications
- Failure modes and structural checks of the strut and tie concepts
- Deep beams as an application of the strut and tie model
- Dealing with concrete beam openings
- Corbels, types, design and code requirements
- Dapped beams design procedures
- Pile caps cases
- Design procedures of pile caps
- Creating reinforcement detailing
Who Should Attend:
Civil Engineers • Structural Engineers • Designers • Consulting Architects and Engineers •Construction Engineers • Fabricators and Manufacturers of Structural Systems • Municipal Building Officials • Field Reviewers
Time: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
- Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes, and Assessment Method
- Strut and tie concept and background
- Basics of building a strut and tie model and code requirements
- Deep beam design and reinforcing requirement
- Opening effect in deep beams and walls
- Design Example
- Pre-stressed dapped beam design
- Design Examples
Under instructor guidance, participants work on a case study presented on day I to practice the theory and create design details for different members.
- Design of end anchorage in pre-stressed members
- Design example
- Design of corbel and code requirements
- Design Example
- Design of double corbel
- Design Example
- Design of pile caps
Under instructor guidance, participants work on one of the cases presented on the second day and a final review of the total subject will be demonstrated.
Dr. Saleh has over 23 years of experience in teaching, research, design and consulting in structural design in Canada, Germany and the Middle East.
He is experienced in steel, concrete; including pre-stressed and pre-caste concrete structures, concrete technology and participated in different research topics such as; walls of high strength concrete, fibre reinforced concrete and precast concrete columns. Dr. Saleh has been teaching in Germany, Canada, Dubai and Egypt, and assisted in publication of a structural design concrete book in Germany based on the European Codes.
Dr. Saleh has worked with worldwide renowned consulting offices such as Halcrow Yolles in Toronto, Buro Happold in Dubai and NORR Ltd. in Toronto. He worked with developers, architects and project managers on high rise, midrise office, residential and institutional buildings. Dr. Saleh is the founder of Can Consulting Hansa Inc. in Toronto.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1295 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE