Telecom Systems for Power Substations
Feb 26 - 27, 2024 /
Course Code: 14-0220-ONL24
This course is held online over 2 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
10 am to 6 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose and usage of telecom systems in power substations.
- Know the major components and subsystems of various types of power substation telecom systems.
- Examine the applications of substation telecom Systems.
- Describe the communication requirements for the substation’s teleprotection circuits.
- Recommend a typical telecom system for SCADA and Remote access via a Substation telecom system.
This course provides guidelines to anyone who wishes to know and understand the role of telecommunication systems in power substations.
This course deals with telecom network requirements for power substations, including SCADA, teleprotection and substation services such as voice over IP (VOIP) phone lines. It also discusses different telecom network technologies involved in power substations, such as TDM, MPLS and Packet networks.
- Overview of Telecom requirements in power substations
- Telecom systems/ technologies in power substations
- Telecom networks in power substations
- Special topics for power substation’s Telecom System
- Telecom service and standards specifications
Who Should Attend
Design Engineers • Electrical Engineers • Commissioning and Testing Engineers • Consulting Engineers • Electrical Technologists • Project Managers • Project Engineers • Operating and Maintenance Personnel
Time: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Overview of Telecom Requirements in Power Substations
- Remote access
- Voice Over IP (VOIP)
- Wireless Access Point (WAP)
Telecom Systems/ Technologies in Power Substations
- Microwave Radio
- UHF /VHF Radio
- Fibre optic network
- Power Line Carrier (PLC)
- Long Term Evolution (LTE) and cellular modems
- Leased Lines
Special Topics for Power Substation’s Telecom System
- Tone equipment
- High Voltage Entrance (HVE) equipment
- Grounding for telecom equipment
- Microwave radio design in power substations
- PLC design considerations
- Fibre optic installation
- DC power for telecom equipment
Telecom Networks in Power Substations
- Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) network
- IP network
- Multi-protocol Label Switching (MPLS) network
- Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM)
- Optical Transport Networks (OTN)
Telecom Service and Standards Specifications
- Availability and dependability
- Time Constraints
- Service Quality
- Cyber security
Dr. Ghallab is a telecom specialist with more than 20 years of engineering experience designing and consulting telecom systems for utilities.
He received B.Sc. (with honour) and M.Sc. degrees from the Electronics and Communication Department, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, in 1995 and 2000, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree from Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada in 2005. He has authored and co-authored over 80 technical papers published in refereed international conferences and journals.
He teaches many communication and electrical courses for different institutes worldwide. He holds three patents in US and Canada (one published and two pending). Dr. Ghallab is a technical reviewer in the IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, IEEE Sensors Journal and other technical journals and conferences.
He registered as a professional Engineer in BC, Canada; he is an IEEE senior member and a PMP.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
Fee & Credits
$1295 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE