Top Proven Renewable Energy & Energy Storage Technologies
Apr 30 - May 1, 2024 /
Course Code: 14-0438-ONL24
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- See the role of renewable energy within the four-pillar energy vision.
- Perform technical/engineering and cost comparisons between energy obtained from the grid versus the energy harnessed from renewable sources. Identify and quantify the technical and financial benefits of renewable energy systems.
- Specify and implement renewable energy systems that leverage the direct application of renewable energy sources to the point of use, thus maximizing the efficiency and net benefit of renewable energy systems.
- Examine and assess alternative renewable energy technologies on the basis of physics and engineering principles. Assess the performance of renewable energy systems on the basis of physics and engineering equations that correlate physical parameters to the power and energy output of wind turbines. These equations serve as tools in the design, analysis, suitable location selection and application of wind turbines. Utilize physics and engineering principles and equations to evaluate the performance of hydroelectric turbines.
- Evaluate technical/engineering strengths and weaknesses of major renewable energy technologies like: hydroelectric, tidal, wave, wind, geothermal, solar heat, solar light, solar PV, solar chimney and biomass.
- Follow progress on some of the major, more recent, notable renewable projects in the world. Benefit from the lessons on these projects in avoiding pitfalls in the design/specification of renewable energy systems.
- Identify some of the more unbiased and reliable technical and commercial information sources in the renewable energy arena; thus, staying abreast of progress and current data in the renewable energy realm, beyond this seminar.
This course caters to Engineers, Technicians, Facilities Managers, Energy Professionals, Architects and others who are interested in enhancing their understanding of renewable energy and would like to learn about methods, best practices and strategies for the selection of the most suitable renewable energy alternative, with technical, geographic and financial feasibility in mind.
The course highlights the four-pillar approach or perspective on the formulation of a business entity's energy vision and how renewable energy fits within. Introduction to a few important fundamentals of energy and the grid sets the tone for a better comparison of the current source of energy with optimal renewable energy alternatives. The importance of the concept of the most direct application of renewable sources to the final energy demand point is highlighted. After the introduction, this seminar dives into some of the more proven and mainstream renewable energy topics.
Current footprint and relative cost differences between some of the major renewable energy systems are examined. Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats pertaining to some of the mainstream renewable energy solutions are discussed. Some of the cutting edge, and yet unproven, renewable energy systems are introduced. The discussion on the topic of renewable energy is sustained by diagrams, schematics and pictures pertaining to major renewable energy systems.
Why you shouldn't miss this seminar - How this seminar can benefit your organization or clients; what is unique about this course:
- Are you responsible for identifying the most suitable renewable energy alternative, for your operations or those of your clients, and you feel inadequately prepared to lead the effort; or perhaps you don't know where to begin? Then, this seminar is a must.
- Do you manage or lead a group of energy or engineering professionals responsible for identifying renewable energy solutions and managing renewable energy projects, but you feel that your knowledge and understanding of renewable energy is somewhat inadequate, needs enhancement and greater breadth? Then you must not miss this proven and frequently updated seminar.
- Do you feel that the financial justification of renewable energy - or energy conservation projects, in general, is an uphill battle in your organization? Then, this seminar will give you the opportunity to air your challenges and frustrations. You will learn about some proven approaches - both technical and financial - for successful renewable energy project funding and implementation.
- As an engineer or energy professional, do you feel inadequately equipped to comprehensively compare various renewable energy alternatives - from a technical and financial feasibility vantage point? Then, this seminar will present an excellent opportunity to remedy that.
- How often do you get a chance to attend a course or a seminar that is presented by the author of books on the relevant subject matter - in person? In this seminar, you will have the opportunity to interact and learn from Prof. Bobby Rauf, the author of the texts, titled: (1) Thermodynamics Made Simple for Energy Engineers, and (2) Finance and Accounting for Energy Engineers. (Copies of these books are available at additional cost).
- Some courses end up being monotonous monologues from the presenter to the audience. Not this one. In this seminar, you will get an opportunity to air questions and share your success stories - as well as, frustrations - in the energy arena. You will learn how to avoid costly mistakes, and engage the instructor and other attendees in discussions.
Who should attend:
- Licensed PE's, Professional Engineers, and CEM's, Certified Energy Managers, who need to meet the license or certification renewal PDH (Professional Development Hour) or CEU (Continuing Education Unit) requirements. This energy seminar couples engineering concepts and knowledge with renewable energy concepts and best practices.
- Facility Managers, Plant Engineers, Engineering Managers, Energy Professionals, Architects, Project Managers and other Executives who feel a need to enhance their renewable energy engineering knowledge, to make informed decisions on renewable energy projects or programs.
- Professionals, who do not possess prior experience or knowledge in the renewable energy realm, including Project Management Staff, Energy Project Financial Analysts and Technical Writers.
- Procurement/Purchasing Professionals who are responsible for obtaining renewable energy project proposals.
- Construction managers who manage renewable energy project installations.
- Other professionals whose annual PLP, Performance and Learning Program, include energy engineering courses or training.
Time: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
1. Energy Facts
2. Energy Basics
3. Electricity Basics
4. Electrical Bill Calculation and Load Factor
5. Overview of Renewable Energy Technologies
6. Hydroelectric Power
7. Tidal Energy
8. Wind Energy
9. Geothermal Energy Technology
10. Solar Technologies
11. Solar Heating
12. Solar Heat - Renewable Electrical Energy Technologies
13. Photovoltaic Renewable Energy
14. Major Solar Energy Projects - Domestic and International
15. Biomass Renewable Energy Technologies
16. Emerging Renewable Energy Technologies
17. Financial Justification and Implementation of Energy Projects
18. Renewable Energy Information Sources
InstructorS. Bobby Rauf, BSEE, P.E., C.E.M, MBA
Professor Bobby Rauf has developed and instructed engineering courses, seminars and workshops for over 14 years in the US and abroad.
He holds a patent on an electrical control system. Mr. Rauf has authored three books:
- Finance and Accounting for Energy Engineers
- Thermodynamics Made Simple for Energy Engineers
- Electrical Engineering for Non-Electrical Engineers
Mr. Rauf served as a Senior Staff Engineer, Energy and Ergonomics Program Manager, at PPG Industries, Inc, for over 30 years. He has served as Adjunct Professor at Gardner-Webb University since 1989. He has taught Professional Development Seminars/workshops at UNCC, McNeese University, Texas A&M University, Lamar University, AEE, Association of Energy Engineers, Balfour Beatty, Saudi Aramco and PDHengineers.
Prof. Rauf is a Licensed (PE) Professional Engineer and a Certified Energy Manager. He was inducted as a “Legend in Energy” by AEE in 2014.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$695 + taxes
- 0.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 8 Continuing Professional Development Hours (PDHs/CPDs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE