DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Resources and Strategies for Technical Professionals
Jul 12, 2023 /
Course Code: 0701-WEB23
The course provides a concise overview of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). This is an umbrella term for policies, programs, and strategies that promote the representation and participation of individuals of different ages, races and ethnicities, abilities and disabilities, genders, religions, cultures and sexual orientations in the modern workforce. According to McKinsey, the benefits of DEI go far beyond political correctness.
It’s a powerful driver of long-term advantage, company reputation, and talent attraction. Compared to homogeneous firms, diverse companies have higher profits, more motivated employees, higher collective intelligence, and sharper “social listening” capabilities. This promotes better decision-making (multiple perspectives are better than one), greater innovation (breakthroughs happen when multiple points of view are put together in new ways), and reduced bias (seeing a problem from multiple angles can lead to better and faster resolutions).
DEI is especially important for Technical Professionals because recent North American studies report significant diversity gaps and a lack of equity and inclusion in the profession. The course spotlights the stark reality and ethical imperative facing the profession today and suggests practical solutions to drive change. You’ll walk away with a foundational understanding of DEI principles, and guidance on how to attract and retain more diverse talent to your operations.
- DEI Basics
- What is Diversity?
- What is Equity?
- What is Inclusion?
- Neurodiversity Principles
- DEI Continuum
- How a DEI Strategy Contributes to Your Competitive Advantage
- Diversity Annual Reports: Case Studies and Best Practices
- Inclusive Hiring Processes
- Retention and Promotion Equity
- Pay Gap Issues
- Diverse Vendor Networks
- Racial Equity and Brand Messaging
- Inclusivity Builder Worksheet
- Inclusive Marketing Toolkit
- DEI Technology Tools
- DEI Resources
- DEI Starter Strategy
- List at least two examples of how societal inequities have become systemic barriers to the engineering profession
- Point at least three ways to improve workforce diversity in the engineering profession
- Give examples of at least 20 ways to build inclusivity in an engineering organization
- Summarize at least three key findings from a recent Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) project that addresses potential DEI disclosures and how they vary by industry
- Analyze at least three diversity reports from leading engineering firms
Who Should Attend
Practitioners who want a non-technical understanding of DEI basics, and general guidance on how to create diverse teams, inclusive environments and equal opportunity for career growth.Time: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM Eastern Time
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
InstructorGarrett Wasny, MA, CMC, CITP
Garrett has more than two decades of Internet experience and is an award-winning Internet speaker, webcaster, professional development technologist and former management adviser for Price Waterhouse.
Since 1995, he's authored three books (World Business Resources.com, How to Conquer the World, Advanced Googling), published hundreds of articles and columns in leading business and lifestyle publications, and delivered more than 1,000 seminars and webinars on Internet strategy. His clients include Fortune 500 companies and leading accounting, engineering, medical, legal and professional sports organizations worldwide.
Full Disclosure: Garrett is an independent Certified Management Consultant (CMC) who provides objective information, and is not affiliated with Google or any of the technologies discussed in the course.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
We currently do not have enough attendee responses to generate a rating for this course.
Fee & Credits
$149 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE