BS-5: Advanced Mathematics (10 Online Hours)
Dates to be announced /
Course Code: BS-5-PELD
Class times to be determined
*On-line course start dates are tentative. Registered students will be contacted by their instructor(s) to arrange for the exact start date and time.PRE-REGISTER FOR NEXT OFFERING
Here are some of the topics that will be covered in this course:
- Series Solutions of Differential Equations: Series solutions of ordinary differential equations, boundary value problems and orthogonal functions, Fourier series
- Numerical Methods: Use of computers for numerical solution of engineering problems, including techniques involving library subroutines and spreadsheets
- Approximations and errors, interpolation, systems of linear and non-linear algebraic equations, curve fitting, numerical integration and differentiation, and ordinary differential equations
Who Should Attend
This course is designed to help Internationally Educated Engineers not only prepare for their Confirmatory Professional Engineering Exams and earn their Professional Engineering Licenses (P.Eng.) in Canada but also expand and keep their knowledge up-to-date. The subject materials are also great for practicing professionals who want to refresh or upgrade their knowledge and keep up to date.
Online Course Format
Instructor-Led hours with the student (typically weekly)
- Designed to give the students the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge that will allow them to
- understand the fundamentals of engineering relevant to the course, and therefore,
- pass the technical exam
- Conducted using state-of-the-art online meeting and collaboration software (software is free for the student)
Internet connection and any of the following:
- PC (Windows or Mac) with audio (USB headset recommended), or
- Tablet (iPad or Android), or
- Smartphone (iPhone or Android)
- Before each class, the instructor may ask students to review or read topics from sources that include: specific book sections, instructor notes, web resources, etc.
- During the live online class, the instructor will
- explain the relevant fundamental theory and the most important concepts
- solve example problems (from or similar to old exams, and from other sources)
- answer questions the student(s) may have about the current class, previous class, or homework
- guide the student(s) to exactly what they need to do to prepare for next class assign practice problems
- Instructors use a variety of modes to deliver their live online classes: in addition to real-time audio interaction and explanations, a whiteboards and/or PowerPoints’ are common (both are made available in a printable format to the student after each class).
- A fair bit of self-study is expected on the part of the students, especially for pre-requisite topics. However, this is highly guided by the instructor, who also sets the pace and scope of the courses.
- Usually all the syllabus is covered. However, based on his/her expertise and judgment, the instructor may stress some parts of the course over others.
- In very few courses with very wide syllabi, the instructor may skip some contents that are deemed rare to appear on exams. This typically happens in solve-five-out-of-eight-questions exams, and will be communicated clearly to the students.
- If the frequency of email questions is reasonable, the instructor is usually going to respond to email questions. The instructor may prefer to defer some questions to the online session.
TUTORING ON THIS SUBJECT
You can receive one-on-one tutoring on this subject if you only need to review a few key areas with our knowledgeable instructors. EPIC provides these sessions on a per hour basis and they can be provided online or any other agreed meeting point.
For more information on this service please contact us.
All EPIC's Licensing Program courses provide invaluable resources and aid to students who need to take engineering exams across Canada. These preparation courses are valid for the following engineering associations:
- Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba (APEGM)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB)
- Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL)
- Association of Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia (APENS)
- Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists (NAPEG)
- PEO - Professional Engineers Ontario
- Association of Professional Engineers of Prince Edward Island (APEPEI - PEI Engineers)
- Ordre des Ingenieurs du Quebec (OIQ)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Association of Professional Engineers of Yukon (APEY)
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Fee & Credits
$895 + taxesPre-REGISTER