NPPE: National Professional Practice Exam Workshop (NPPE)
August 19 & August 26, 2023 /
Course Code: NPPE-S23B
Due to Covid-19 all classroom courses have been converted to online; there will be no classes going on in the EPIC Building. NPPE preparation courses will be confirmed provided we have a minimum of four students registered. Students are advised to register at least two weeks before the starting date so as not to miss any classes.
EPIC offers this workshop not only as a preparation for the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE), but also as a general workshop for people interested in understanding the ethical and legal implications and expectations as practiced in the Engineering profession in Canada.
The workshop is typically offered in two parts (A - Ethics and B - Law) on two consecutive Saturdays 3-4 times per year.
The fee for this course is $495 + HST.
You can register online or contact Ruby at at email@example.com.
Summer 2023 - Saturdays August 19 and August 26, 2023 (NPPE-S23B)
(Two consecutive Saturdays from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm Eastern Time)
Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) has discontinued PPE and is instead offering now the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE). The NPPE is held five times a year (February, April, June, September and November) in major centres across Canada. A remotely proctored is also available for those who are unable to write in an exam centre.
The exam has 120 multiple-choice questions based on 6 subject areas as shown below. You have 2.5 hours to complete the examination.
This course helps the NPPE candidates to know all the material covered in each syllabus subject area listed in the syllabus tab and assists them in demonstrating this knowledge sufficiently on the NPPE Examination.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed to help Internationally Educated Engineers not only prepare for their Confirmatory Professional Engineering Exams and earn their Professional Engineering Licenses (P.Eng.) in Canada but also expand and keep their knowledge up-to-date. The subject materials are also great for practicing professionals who want to refresh or upgrade their knowledge and keep up to date.
Online Course Format
Instructor-Led hours with the student (typically weekly)
- Designed to give the students the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge that will allow them to
- understand the fundamentals of engineering relevant to the course, and therefore,
- pass the technical exam
- Conducted using state-of-the-art online meeting and collaboration software (software is free for the student)
Internet connection and any of the following:
- PC (Windows or Mac) with audio (USB headset recommended), or
- Tablet (iPad or Android), or
- Smartphone (iPhone or Android)
- Before each class, the instructor may ask students to review or read topics from sources that include: specific book sections, instructor notes, web resources, etc.
- During the live online class, the instructor will
- explain the relevant fundamental theory and the most important concepts
- solve example problems (from or similar to old exams, and from other sources)
- answer questions the student(s) may have about the current class, previous class, or homework
- guide the student(s) to exactly what they need to do to prepare for next class assign practice problems
- Instructors use a variety of modes to deliver their live online classes: in addition to real-time audio interaction and explanations, a whiteboards and/or PowerPoints’ are common (both are made available in a printable format to the student after each class).
- A fair bit of self-study is expected on the part of the students, especially for pre-requisite topics. However, this is highly guided by the instructor, who also sets the pace and scope of the courses.
- Usually all the syllabus is covered. However, based on his/her expertise and judgment, the instructor may stress some parts of the course over others.
- In very few courses with very wide syllabi, the instructor may skip some contents that are deemed rare to appear on exams. This typically happens in solve-five-out-of-eight-questions exams, and will be communicated clearly to the students.
- If the frequency of email questions is reasonable, the instructor is usually going to respond to email questions. The instructor may prefer to defer some questions to the online session.
For more information on this service please contact us.
All EPIC's Licensing Program courses provide invaluable resources and aid to students who need to take engineering exams across Canada. These preparation courses are valid for the following engineering associations:
- Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba (APEGM)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB)
- Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL)
- Association of Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia (APENS)
- Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists (NAPEG)
- PEO - Professional Engineers Ontario
- Association of Professional Engineers of Prince Edward Island (APEPEI - PEI Engineers)
- Ordre des Ingenieurs du Quebec (OIQ)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Association of Professional Engineers of Yukon (APEY)
- 1 Definition and Interpretation of Professionalism and Professional Status
- 2 The Role and Responsibilities of Professionals in Society
- 3 Engineering and Geoscience Professions in Canada; Definitions and Scopes of Practice
- 4 The Value of Engineering and Geoscience Professions to Society
- 1 The Role of Ethics in Society; Cultures and Customs
- 2 Ethical Theories and Principles
- 3 Codes of Ethics of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists in Canada
- 4 Common Ethical Issues and Dilemmas; Making Ethical Decisions
III Professional Practice
- 1 Professional Accountability for Work, Workplace Issues, Job Responsibilities, and Standards of Practice
- 2 The Role and Responsibilities of Professionals to Employers and Clients
- 3 Relations with Other Professionals and Non-Professionals; Business Practices
- 4 Statutory and Non-Statutory Standards and Codes of Practice
- 5 Risk Management, Insurance, Quality Management and Due Diligence
- 6 Environmental Responsibilities and Sustainable Development
- 7 Use of Software, Computers and Internet-based Tools; Liability for Software Errors
- 8 Document Authentication and Control
- 9 Duty to Inform; Whistleblowing
- 10 Communication
IV Law for Professional Practice
- 1 The Canadian Legal System
- 2 Contract Law - Elements, Principles, and Applications
- 3 Tort Law – Elements, Principles, and Applications
- 4 Civil Law in Quebec
- 5 Business, Employment, and Labor Law
- 6 Dispute Resolution
- 7 Intellectual Property (Patents, Trade Secrets, Copyright, Trademarks)
- 8 Expert Witness
- 9 Bonds and Construction Liens
- 10 International Law
- 11 Environmental Law
- 12 Workers Compensation and Occupational Health & Safety
- 13 Human Rights and Privacy Legislation
- 14 Further Areas of Law
V Professional Law
- 1 The Acts, Regulations, and Bylaws of Provincial and Territorial Associations
- 2 Admission to the Professions
- 3 Illegal Practice, Enforcement Against Unlicensed Practice, and Misuse of Title
- 4 Professional and Technical Societies
VI Regulation of Members & Discipline Processes
- 1 Discipline Procedures
- 2 Practice Review of Individuals
- 3 Practice Review of Firms
- 4 Continuing Professional Development
To be announced
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Fee & Credits
$495 + taxesRegister
OTHER UPCOMING DATES
National Professional Practice Exam Workshop (NPPE) Online | Mar 11 - 18, 2023
National Professional Practice Exam Workshop (NPPE) Online | May 13 - 20, 2023
National Professional Practice Exam Workshop (NPPE) Online | Oct 14 - 21, 2023