The Impact of Design, Construction and Maintenance Features on the Long-Term Performance of Pavements
Jan 25, 2019 /
Course Code: 0105-WEB19
Purpose and Background
This webinar illustrates the impact of design, construction and maintenance features on the long-term performance of flexible and rigid pavements. The primary design, specification and construction factors that contribute to the long-term functional and structural performance of pavements ranging from parking lots to municipal roadways, airports and major highways are discussed.
Through a series of case studies, positive and negative features are presented to give the participant a good understanding of what we can do better to ensure the cost-effective use of transportation investments.
Primary Discussion Topics/Webinar Outline
This webinar focuses on design and construction features that may impact the performance of our asphalt and concrete pavement infrastructure.
Some of the key design elements for concrete pavement design and construction include:
- Subgrade preparation
- Dowel bar alignment
- Dowel and tie bar placement
- Dowel bar insertion
- Dowel bar quality
- Joint detailing
- Proper detailing around utility covers
- Joint and crack sealing
- Deleterious materials in the concrete mix
- General construction site cleanliness
The learning objectives for this webinar include:
- Be able to recognize and use current common pavement design procedures.
- Understand common design and construction features important to the performance of both asphalt and concrete pavements.
- To design and recognize specification and construction activities that can improve the performance of pavements.
- Communicate and promote good road design and construction practices.
- Understand key components and factors necessary for the cost-effective design of flexible and rigid pavements.
- Be able to identify design and construction features that may negatively impact the performance of pavements.
- Assist in developing specifications to ensure the performance of pavements.
Who Should Attend
- Engineers involved in the design, evaluation and management of pavements
- Roadway agencies
- Pavement maintenance staff
- Construction personnel
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dave is a principal engineer with ARA Transportation & has over 30 years of experience in the design, evaluation, and management of pavements. He has developed and completed numerous pavement design and management courses for government and private sector agencies.
A regular technical contributor to technical conferences worldwide, Mr. Hein is past chair of multiple engineering committees for the Transportation Association of Canada, FWD Users Group, American Society of Civil Engineers and the World Road Association.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
- 0.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 1 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
$175 + taxesRegister
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts