Laterally Loaded Piles – Lateral Load Capacity and Deflection
Sep 5, 2019 /
Course Code: 0906-WEB19
After participating in this lecture you will be able to:
- Estimate the lateral capacity and deflection of piles
- Choose proper improvement technique to enhance the lateral capacity of piles
- Analyze pile-load test results
Pile foundations are sometimes used to withstand lateral forces and moments experienced in offshore structures and high-rise buildings. The lateral load capacity and deflection of pile foundations will govern the pile’s performance in this scenario. The lateral performance of the piles depends on both the pile characteristics (length, diameter, stiffness) as well as the surrounding soil properties.
This lecture focuses on the analysis of pile behaviour under lateral loads. Lateral load carrying capacity estimation will be presented for both short and long piles in cohesive and cohesion-less soils. The pile lateral deflection will also be estimated for both single piles and pile groups.
- Factors affecting lateral capacity of piles
- Lateral capacity of single piles and pile groups
- Pile lateral deflection
- Design considerations for laterally loaded piles
- Methods to increase lateral capacity of piles
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design including:
- Civil, environmental and transportation engineers/technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Mohammad is an associate professor of Geotechnical Engineering and director of the Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University.
He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. He has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in geotechnical engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a registered professional engineer in Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$199 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts