Applied Soil Mechanics and Shoring Design
Oct 1 - 2, 2020 /
Course Code: 1013-ONL20
After participating in the course, you will be able to:
- Use your acquired knowledge and skills gained on soil mechanics and shoring
- Implement requirements, procedures and techniques for safe, effective and efficient design of retaining and shoring systems
- Practice trenching and shoring safety precautions
Designed to meet the national competency standards for the installation of primary ground support, this course provides practical training on shoring design. This course will review the related soil mechanics knowledge and show you how to apply soil mechanics theory to trenching and shoring design. The equations and loads are derived for shoring design. Design methods will be covered for different earth supporting systems, including sheet pile, braced cut, and tieback anchor.
The design examples are illustrated and will show you how to apply the theory into practice.
- Review of soil mechanics
- Safety construction and environmental impact
- Shoring design and construction
- Deep excavation and support
Who Should Attend:
Civil and Municipal Engineers • Project Engineers and Managers • Consultants • Designers • Operation and Maintenance personnel • Developers • Planners
This course is held online over 2 days on the following schedule (All times in Eastern Time Zone):
10:00 am to 6:00 pm Eastern (Will include the usual breaks)
Review of Soil Mechanics
- Soil origins
- Soil classification
- Flow of water in soil
- Effective and total stresses
- Shear strength
- Geotechnical investigation and site assessment
Shoring Design and Construction
- Lateral earth pressures
- Retaining walls
- Sheet pile walls (cantilever and anchored)
- Braced cuts
- Solder pile and anchored tieback system
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Mohammad is an associate professor of Geotechnical Engineering and director of the Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University.
He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. He has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in geotechnical engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a registered professional engineer in Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$1295 + taxes
- 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts