Construction Management - Overview of Construction Claims & Disputes
Sep 16, 2020 /
Course Code: 0905-WEB20
After attending this webinar, you will:
- Recognize that all parties to a construction contract must anticipate changes and claims.
- Be exposed to the fundamentals of contracts and claims.
- Discuss the “universe of construction claims”.
- Demonstrate how the basic three part test of a claim (entitlement, causation and damages) applies to each type of claim.
- Understand the burden of proof requirement all claimants (both owners and contractors) must meet.
- Educate attendees on how to prepare and present or analyze and settle or defend against construction claims.
- Learn how contractors and owners must deal with construction claims situations and events.
- Appreciate the downside risk of leaving claims and disputes to fester until the end of a project.
This webinar discusses the 11 basic types of construction claims included in most standard contracts used throughout the U.S. – AIA, ConsensusDOCS, EJCDC, etc. The webinar outlines the entitlement and causation elements of each type of claim that the claimant must demonstrate in order to justify their right to prevail. The webinar highlights the following types of construction claims – claims for directed changes; constructive changes; differing site conditions; directed suspensions of work; constructive suspensions; force majeure events; delays; accelerations; constructive accelerations; terminations for convenience; and, terminations for default.
This webinar also identifies several types of owner claims against contractors. The elements of the burden of proof required of all claimants are presented. The basic requirements concerning damages are covered. A discussion of claims under various project delivery methods and a summary of an accepted claims preparation and analysis methodology are included in this webinar. The webinar will conclude with an outline of various dispute resolution methodologies.
- Contractor Claims vs Owners
- Owner Claims
- Burden of Proof
- Claims and Project Delivery Methods
- Claims Preparation and Analysis
- Dispute Resolution Methods
Who should attend:
- General contractors and their project managers
- Project owners and their representatives
- Design professionals
- Construction managers
- Construction attorneys
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Jim is the Senior Advisor to the recently formed Ankura Construction Forum™.
The Forum strives to be the construction industry’s resource for thought leadership and best practices on avoidance and resolution of construction project disputes globally. Jim was the founder and Executive Director of the Navigant Construction Forum™. Formerly he was the Executive Director, Corporate Claims Management Group, Fluor Corporation, one of the world’s largest EPCM contractors. Prior to this Jim was Vice President of PinnacleOne and Executive Director of the PinnacleOne Institute and a Senior Construction Claims Consultant for CH2M HILL, Inc.
He has, for 46 years, worked on both private and public projects throughout the U.S. and in 28 countries abroad. Jim has worked for both contractors and owners on more than 5,000 claims in his career. He a Fellow of AACE International, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the International Guild of Project Controls. In the construction claims field, he is a recognized and published expert in mitigation, analysis and resolution or defense of construction claims and disputes. Jim is a Certified Construction Manager (CCM), a Certified Forensic Claims Consultant (CFCC), and a Project Management Professional (PMP).
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$199 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE
REQUEST A QUOTE
- course updates
- informative articles/papers
- exclusive discounts