Bearing Capacity and Settlement of Pile Foundations (Axial loads)
Oct 26, 2023 /
Course Code: 1005-WEB23
After participating in this lecture, you will be able to:
- Determine the bearing capacity of different piles
- Choose a proper pile system for a specific site
- Estimate the settlement of pile foundations
- Determine the pile capacity from pile load tests
Pile foundations are generally used when the upper soil stratum is weak, and there is a need to transfer the structural loads to deeper and more competent strata. The load-carrying capacity of pile foundations is provided by the toe-bearing capacity and the pile shaft capacity through the interface pile-soil resistance.
This lecture aims to present basic concepts required for the design of pile foundations in different site conditions. Bearing capacity analysis of both single pile and pile groups will be discussed for various types of piles in different soil and rock strata. The pile settlement analysis will also be presented for both single piles and pile groups.
- Factors affecting pile selection for different sites
- Bearing capacity analysis of piles from both lab and field test results
- Settlement analysis of pile foundations
- Design considerations for piles under axial loads
- Pile load tests
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design, including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation Engineers/Technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dr. M.T. Rayhani, P.Eng., is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$149 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE