Pavement Design 101
Mar 22, 2022 /
Course Code: 0302-WEB22
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize and use current common pavement design procedures
- Understand common design and construction features that are important to the performance of both asphalt and concrete pavements
- Understand pavement distress types and causes
- Complete a simple AASHTO 93 pavement structural design
- Communicate and promote good road design and construction practices
This webinar provides an introduction to the design of flexible and rigid pavements. The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) 1993 pavement design procedure is covered along with an introduction to the new AASHTOWare Pavement Design ME mechanistic-empirical design method. The webinar covers the primary design, specification and construction factors that contribute to the long-term functional and structural performance of pavement.
Positive and negative design features and construction conditions are presented to provide a good understanding of what we can do better to ensure the cost-effective use of transportation investments.
This course covers:
- Primary features of major pavement types
- Factors affecting pavement performance
- Typical pavement failure modes
- Pavement distresses, types and severities
- Inputs affecting pavement design
- Traffic and subgrade types
- Examples using the AASHTO design procedure
Who Should Attend
- Roadway agency owners
- Municipal infrastructure staff
- Consultants and contractors designing and constructing roadway infrastructure
- Asset management and operations staff
- Personnel involved in the maintenance of sidewalks and recreational trails
- Inspection and testing staff
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
David Hein, P.Eng. is a consulting Civil Engineer with over 35 years of experience in the design, evaluation and management of transportation infrastructure. He recently retired from Applied Research Associates, Inc. of Toronto, Ontario. He is the past president of the American Society of Civil Engineers Transportation and Development Institute (ASCE T&DI), chair of the Workforce Development Council and chair of 5 engineering standards committees.
He is a long term member of the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC), Past-Chair of the pavements committee and member of the Workforce Development Council and past members of the Transportation Research Board pavement management, pavement maintenance and pavement preservation committees. He has represented Canada on the World Road Association (WRA) pavements and asset management committees since 2002 and is currently the Vice-Chair of the Canadian National Committee to the WRA. He also recently stepped down after 10 years as Executive Director of the Falling Weight Deflectometer User Group.
He has been involved in numerous national and international research, evaluation and asset management projects for Federal, State, Provincial and Municipal agencies and many of the public/private/ partnership highway construction projects across Canada and the United States.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$75 + taxes
- 0.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 1 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
- This course has been approved by the AIBC for 1 Non-Core Learning Units
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE