Bearing Capacity and Settlement of Shallow Foundations
Oct 25, 2023 /
Course Code: 1004-WEB23
After participating in this course, you will be able to
- Determine the bearing capacity of different soils
- Understand the factors controlling bearing capacity and settlement
- Understand other factors of safety in shallow foundation design
- Estimate the settlement of the shallow foundation
The allowable bearing capacity in foundation design considers both failure and settlement of the foundation and provides the maximum pressure the soil can support before failure or excessive settlement. Professionals responsible for designing and constructing both spread and mat foundation systems need a working understanding of basic concepts to gain confidence in dealing with shallow foundations design and construction.
This lecture presents the basic concepts required to design shallow foundation systems and explains how to design and construct a safe and sustainable foundation system.
- Shallow foundations versus deep foundation (which one to choose)
- Ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundations
- The factor of safety for design (ASD versus LRFD method)
- Settlement analysis for shallow foundations
- Reporting of bearing capacity and settlement results
- Recommendations for mat foundations
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design, including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation Engineers/Technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dr. M.T. Rayhani, P.Eng., is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$149 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE