Laterally Loaded Piles - Lateral Load Capacity and Deflection
Oct 27, 2023 /
Course Code: 1006-WEB23
After participating in this course, you will be able to
- Estimate the lateral capacity and deflection of piles
- Choose the proper improvement technique to enhance the lateral capacity of piles
- Analyze pile-load test results
Pile foundations are sometimes used to withstand lateral forces and moments experienced in offshore structures and high-rise buildings. The pile foundations' lateral load capacity and deflection will govern the pile's performance in this scenario. The lateral performance of the piles depends on the pile characteristics (length, diameter, stiffness) and the surrounding soil properties.
This lecture focuses on the analysis of pile behaviour under lateral loads. The lateral load-carrying capacity estimation will be presented for both short and long piles in cohesive and cohesion-less soils. The lateral pile deflection will also be estimated for single piles and pile groups.
- Factors affecting the lateral capacity of piles
- The lateral capacity of single piles and pile groups
- Pile lateral deflection
- Design considerations for laterally loaded piles
- Methods to increase the lateral capacity of piles
Who Should Attend
Those who deal with construction-related geotechnical engineering issues or need to build background on geotechnical analyses and design, including:
- Civil, Environmental and Transportation Engineers/Technicians
- Geologists, city and public works officials/planners
Please note: You can check other time zones here.
Dr. M.T. Rayhani, P.Eng., is a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering and the director of Geo-engineering Research Group at Carleton University. He has over a decade of experience in research, teaching and engineering consulting, and has collaborated extensively with industry leaders worldwide. He has received research grants from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Transport Canada, and other funding agencies. Dr. Rayhani has presented short courses, seminars, and guest lectures on various topics related to frontier research in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering in Canada, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, India, Iran, and other countries. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario and he is the author of over 50 publications in different areas of geo-engineering. Dr. Rayhani is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
NOT INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE?
We always want to improve the quality of our courses. Please select any reasons why you feel this course is inadequate (check all that apply).
Overall rating of this course by its previous attendees!
Fee & Credits
$149 + taxes
- 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- 2 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- ECAA Annual Professional Development Points
REQUEST A QUOTE
Canada Job Grant
Your company may be eligible for funding! LEARN MORE